LaTeX and the \iint dxdy Integral

In summary, LaTeX looks like \iint~dxdy instead of \displaystyle\iint~dxdy because the default LaTeX background is white, instead of matching the rest of the background. There is a way to change the background color of the LaTeX areas, but it requires converting to Firefox or another browser.
Krizalid
Why LaTeX looks like [tex]\iint~dxdy[/tex] instead http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2185/a8bcb9add8d3204753ec1bakd3.gif ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Krizalid said:
Why LaTeX looks like [tex]\iint~dxdy[/tex] instead http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2185/a8bcb9add8d3204753ec1bakd3.gif ??

Are you trying to do this? [itex]\iint~dxdy[/itex] ... inline? If so, use itex instead of tex .
Unfortunately, it appears to be truncated with displastyle [itex]\displaystyle\iint~dxdy[/itex].
In that case, maybe it's best to start its own line:
[tex]\displaystyle\iint~dxdy[/tex]

I think Krizalid is asking why the default LaTex background is white, instead of matching the rest of the background. Is there a way to change the background color of the LaTex areas?

Krizalid said:

Ah, I think he meant the transparency. You can use Firefox, it works, whereas IE does not display the correct transparency. :frown:

I use Firefox all the time, and to tell the truth, I don't experience any difference between the 2 LaTeX above. :biggrin: Yay for Firefox. o:)

(But, as I remembered, Greg or Chroot had finally succeeded in making a transparent background a while ago. Hadn't he? :uhh:)

IE6 has problems with PNG transparency, but there is a workaround.

Ah... I, too, use Firefox. (Yay!)

What! LaTex background's white?!? :eek:

Yea, it looks horrid in IE.

not in IE7

This is how looks like in IE 7

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4627/fgfgxw9.png

you mean there's no antialiasing?

makc said:
you mean there's no antialiasing?

So that's what that word means?

My suggestion is to convert to Firefox or other, not only is it virtually identical to Windows Explorer in every way, but it is not as prone to security issues that the most popular explorer is(ie most virus's, trojans, and other forms of malware tend to target the most prolific Explorers security issues) But it comes with an automatic active spell checker and some really useful free add ons. Ad blocker being one, although for some reason it doesn't work on mine :/

Go on go Firefox, once you go Mozilla you never go back :wink:

it's not that long before firefox will be also able to cure cancer and aids.

makc said:
it's not that long before firefox will be also able to cure cancer and aids.

Imagine the memory it would use when it does all that!

If it's the transparency that's not working, please try to use another browser that isn't broken. If it's the slightly different anti-aliasing (meaning one looks smoother than the other), let me know. There are many knobs I can turn to adjust how the final LaTeX output appears.

- Warren

Ahh I was wondering what this question was all about. They looked exactly the same to me.

1. What is LaTeX and how is it used in mathematics?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used for creating documents with mathematical equations and symbols. It allows for precise and professional-looking formatting of mathematical expressions and equations.

2. What is the \iint dxdy integral and how is it different from a regular integral?

The \iint dxdy integral is a double integral, which means it involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. This is different from a regular integral, which involves integrating a function of one variable over a one-dimensional interval.

3. How do you write the \iint dxdy integral in LaTeX?

To write the \iint dxdy integral in LaTeX, you can use the command \iint_{a}^{b} f(x,y) \,dx\,dy, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated and a and b represent the limits of integration.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using LaTeX for mathematical expressions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using LaTeX for mathematical expressions include forgetting to include necessary packages, not using the correct syntax for symbols or equations, and not properly aligning equations using the align environment. It is also important to carefully proofread for any typos or errors in the code.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to use LaTeX for mathematical expressions?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning how to use LaTeX for mathematical expressions. Some popular options include online tutorials, forums or discussion boards, and YouTube videos. Additionally, many universities and institutions offer workshops or courses on LaTeX for students and researchers.