1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lattice binding energy

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a crystal lattice of MgO, the Mg is surrounded by 6 Oxygen atoms as shown.
    Assume that the ions all behave as point charges.

If the system behaves as though there were separate interactions between Mg and each of
    the Oxygen ions what is the total binding energy of the Mg ion?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]F_c = -K/a^2[/tex]
    [tex]F=\frac{dE}{da}[/tex]
    [tex]F=F_c+F_R[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

so I'm quite confused with this question.

I can find the coulombic force of attraction using [tex]F_c = -K/a^2[/tex] if i take a to be the equilibrium bond length and look up values for the ionic radii.

Now that i know the attraction force i can then work out the repulsive force as at the equilibrium bond length the attractive force is balanced by the repulsive force.

my problem is that because the forces balance the net force is zero , so what is the total binding energy of the iron.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    would anyone agree that the question is asking for the electron binding energy and that i was trying to find the wrong thing?

im still stuck with this.

Thanks
    Sean

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook