1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lattice Field Theory

1. Sep 11, 2003 #1

gnl

Hi everyone! I would like to post a new thread, related to my research work: QFT on a lattice, i.e. on computers! Is anyone interested?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2003 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, I only know the basic theory behind quantum computing rather than the practicalities, how is the problem of decoherence being overcome?

4. Sep 11, 2003 #3

gnl

lattice

This is what I am talking about. Take some QFT. Write a Euclidean space-time discrete version of the action and then use numerical methods to evaluate Green´s functions. The inverse lattice spacing serves as a momentum cutoff...

5. Sep 11, 2003 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry I misread your post, i thought you were taliking about QFT computing

6. Sep 11, 2003 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This is certainly a very interesting and hot topic, and the opportunity to get some info from the horse's mouth is not to be missed. Fire away, gnl!

7. Sep 11, 2003 #6

gnl

Lattice QCD

One of the most interesting field theories to be studied on the lattice is QCD. QCD is a very complicated theory, with many non-perturbative aspects. The lattice offers a way to investigate, from first principles, such aspects. In the low-energy regime, the QCD coupling becomes too large for any perturbative expansion to make sense. Confinement and hadron structure are among the things one can study in Lattice QCD: hadron masses (QCD spectroscopy in general, including glueballs), hadronic matrix elements.

A good intro can be found in:
    hep-lat/9807028

Agreement with experiment has been striking in many cases.

8. Sep 12, 2003 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I am working my way through the tutorial, and I wondered, gnl what is your topic? And are you going to be doing monte carlo estimations of path integrals like it says?

9. Sep 12, 2003 #8

gnl

my field

My field of research, so far, has been lattice QCD. I have done works on hadron spectroscopy and on the study of leptonic anc semileptonic decays. These decays involve some non-perturbative quantity, like decay constants or form factors.

These objects are calculated as MC estimates (numerical path integral!) of time-ordered products of fields. For example, given the operator that creates a meson with given quantum numbers from the vacuum, one that creates another meson , and a current, lots of things can be calculated.

Lattice QCD needs BIG CPUS!!! However, lots of interesting physics can still be explored with scalar models. The Higgs boson, after all, is such a field!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?