1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lattice of 1D anharmonic oscillators (Cannonical Ensemble)

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a system of N non-interacting anharmonic oscillators whose potential energy is given by,

[tex] V(q) = cq^2 -gq^3 -fq^4 [/tex]

where [itex] c,f,g > 0 [/itex] and [itex] f,g [/itex] are small.

2. Relevant equations

The Hamiltonian is given by,

[tex] H = \sum_{i=1}^N \big ( \frac{p^2_i}{2m} + V(q_i) \big ) [/tex]

And the corresponding partition function is,

[tex] Z = \int \prod_{i=1}^N\frac{dq_idp_i}{h}e^{-\beta H} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to calculate the partition function, from which everything else will essentially follow. Substituting H into my integral, and re-arranging things a bit, I find,

[tex] Z = \frac{1}{h^N}\prod_{i=1}^N \int dq_ie^{-\beta V(q_i)} \int dp_i e^{-\beta\frac{p^2_i}{2m}} [/tex]

The integral over the [itex] p_i[/itex]'s is easy, it's the one over the [itex]q_i[/itex] which has me stuck, because it seems like it has to diverge... written out in full,

[tex] \int dq_ie^{-\beta V(q_i)} = \int dq_ie^{-\beta(cq^2 -gq^3-fq^4)} [/tex]

The problem wants things in leading orders of [itex] f,g [/itex], but I still don't see how the integral is not going to explode since I'm integrating over all possible phase-space... :(

Can someone show me what I'm missing here?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?