Atoms & Coatoms of Lattice of Subgroups of \mathbb{Z}

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lattice
In summary, the atoms and coatoms of the lattice of all subgroups of the group \mathbb{Z}(+,-,0) look like a line with Z at the top and infinitely many subgroups pZ, p prime, below it.
twoflower

Homework Statement

How do the atoms and coatoms of the lattice of all subgroups of the group [itex]\mathbb{Z}(+,-,0)[/itex] look like?

Homework Equations

Let [itex](L,\le)[/itex] be a lattice and [itex]e, f \in L[/itex] is the minimum (maximum) elements of L. Then we say that [itex]a, b \in L[/itex] is the atom (coatom) of L if a covers e (b covers f).

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess that all subgroups of the given group are of form [itex]H = k\mathbb{Z} = \left\{ k.x | x \in \mathbb{Z}\right\}[/itex] and that the ordering on the lattice will be set inclusion.

But I don't know how its Hasse diagram will look like (I think I need it to solve the problem).

Thank you for any hint!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When is kZ contained in mZ?

matt grime said:
When is kZ contained in mZ?

If and only if k divides m, I guess. But I can't imagine how the Hasse diagram will behave behave as I will approach to its top, ie. the whole group [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] - what subgroups will be residing under the top, ie. how will the coatoms look like?

What makes you think you can picture it? Or draw it? The lattice has generators for each prime, i.e. infinitely many of them. So the lattice is the lattice on countably infinitely many generators, plus a vertex greater than all (the infinitely many) other vertices (and there is no reason in a poset why any vertex has to have a predecessor).

matt grime said:
What makes you think you can picture it? Or draw it? The lattice has generators for each prime, i.e. infinitely many of them. So the lattice is the lattice on countably infinitely many generators, plus a vertex greater than all (the infinitely many) other vertices (and there is no reason in a poset why any vertex has to have a predecessor).

I knew I couldn't draw the complete Hasse diagram, just the general situation on the bottom (atoms) and below the top (coatom). I guess the atoms (elements covering [itex]0Z = \left\{0\right\}[/itex]) would be [itex]pZ[/itex], where p is a prime, but I really don't know what will the coatoms look like...

Btw we weren't told what is a generator of a lattice...

If I were you I'd go get my definition of atom and coatom sorted. You say 'the atom', implying there is one, then say there is one for all primes. And why isn't 4 an atom? I.e. what does 'cover' mean. It must have something to do with x covers y if y is a subgroup of x, possibly maximal. But this can't make sense for your definition of coatom which as stated says b is a/the coatom if b covers f where you define f to be maximal. Since nothing can cover properly a maximal element there is something wrong. A coatom is surely something that is covered by the maximal element. And I will take 'covered' to mean x covers y if y<x and y is maximal. What makes you think Z has coatoms?

I think we have things the wrong way round, at least when i try to make 'common sense' interpretations of the words, anyway. pZ is a very large group it contains mZ for all m divisible by p. It is in fact a maximal subgroup of Z. Atoms ought to be small So presumably pZ is a coatom. There are no minimal non-trivial subgroups of Z - any subgroup H has a subgroup 2H if H is not trivial. Hence there are no atoms.

So we have a hasse diagram with Z at the top, and a line to each of theinfinitely many subgroups pZ, p a prime, then a line from pZ and qZ to pqZ, etc - this is a lattice with infinitely many generators - plus e at the bottom on its own.

Last edited:
Thank you matt, that helped me a lot for understanding the problem!

1. What is a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$?

A lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$ is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of subgroups of the integers, also known as the additive group of integers. These subgroups are organized in a way that reflects the relationships between them, forming a structure that resembles a grid or lattice.

2. How are atoms and coatoms defined in a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$?

In a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$, atoms and coatoms refer to the smallest and largest elements, respectively. These elements are unique in the sense that they are not divisible by any other element in the lattice. The atom is the subgroup generated by the smallest positive integer, while the coatom is the subgroup generated by the largest negative integer.

3. What is the significance of atoms and coatoms in a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$?

Atoms and coatoms play an important role in understanding the structure of a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$. They help identify the minimal and maximal elements in the lattice, which provide information about the relationships between the subgroups and the lattice as a whole.

4. How are atoms and coatoms related to prime numbers in a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$?

In a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$, atoms and coatoms correspond to prime numbers. This is because prime numbers are the building blocks of all other integers, and similarly, atoms and coatoms are the building blocks of all other subgroups in the lattice. Additionally, the prime factorization of an integer is analogous to the decomposition of a subgroup into atoms and coatoms.

5. Can a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$ have an infinite number of atoms and coatoms?

Yes, a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$ can have an infinite number of atoms and coatoms. This is because the set of integers is infinite, and there is no limit to the number of subgroups that can be generated. However, it is also possible for a lattice of subgroups of $\mathbb{Z}$ to have a finite number of atoms and coatoms, depending on the specific structure of the lattice.