1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lattice Parameter c of HCP

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to figure out the lattice parameter, c, of the HCP crystal structure.

Here are a couple links showing the structure: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...agonal+close+packed&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&um=1"

2. Relevant equations
    I know that a=2r, where r is the atomic radius of whatever atoms make up the structure. I'm not really sure what else is relevant, it seems to be a problem of geometry and I'm having trouble working it out.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't really type out my math that I've attempted to do since I am having trouble conceptually. I think that the way to go about doing it is with a triangular pyramid, since with the way that the atoms sit on top of each other you will get an equilateral triangle as your base (sides=a) and then the height is c/2. However I can't seem to get this to work out mathematically. I got c to be 2*sqrt(3)*r, which is incorrect.

Thanks for the help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

Lok

If the height of a triangular piramid is what you seek then a simple method is pytagora with a being the distance between 2 corners.

that is the height of a equilateral triangle is (3^0.5)/2 which means that the pyramid triangle will have a base of 2/3 of the height. That is (3^0.5)/3 so:

Pytagora : a^2(1-3/9)=a^2*c^2 where c=(6/9)^0.5=0.8164

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  4. Feb 12, 2010 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

c/a must > 1, and a ~ 2r.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook