Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lattice primer

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    Hi,

a few months ago, someone pointed me to an excellent primer on lattice calculations, available for free on arXiv. I was browsing and finding many results, so I was wondering if anybody had a good reference, including worked examples so one can readilly do such easy things as calculating the static potential between two (infinitely heavy) quarks.

Any suggestion more than welcome.
    Thanks in advance :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2
    A "classic" introduction to lattice QCD is Gupta, hep-lat/9807028, lecture notes from the 1997 Les Houches Summer School. I believe he does go through things like calculating the interquark static potential. (Is this the arXiv primer you mention? If not, I'd be curious to know what yours is.)

Lattice books by Creutz and Montvay & Munster are even more classic, though still worthwhile. More recent books are Smit's "Introduction to Quantum Fields on a Lattice" and "Lattice Methods for Quantum Chromodynamics" by DeGrand and DeTar, which I'm now most of the way through. There's a nice review of DeGrand & DeTar on Georg von Hippel's "Life on the Lattice" blog, latticeqcd.blogspot.com.

If you want actual code, I don't have too much I can offer. The QDP (QCD Data Parallel) software includes some examples, but it requires other SciDAC modules and the examples are mainly to show how to use various QDP routines. I don't think you'll get much out of playing with it (but if you do want to install it, let me know and I can make it much easier for you).

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    Actually, I forgot that the tutorial from the SciDAC workshop at MIT last year is online: web.mit.edu/bgl/scidac-2007 . To actually compile and run the example programs you would need to install QDP and its dependencies, but you may be able to get something out of reading the notes and code they have there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?