Calculating Static Potential with Lattice Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses different resources for learning about lattice calculations in quantum chromodynamics (QCD). Some recommended sources include the Gupta lecture notes, books by Creutz and Montvay & Munster, and more recent books by Smit and DeGrand & DeTar. There is also a mention of the QDP software for examples of code, but it may require additional modules to install. The conversation ends with a link to an online tutorial from a SciDAC workshop at MIT.
humanino
Hi,

a few months ago, someone pointed me to an excellent primer on lattice calculations, available for free on arXiv. I was browsing and finding many results, so I was wondering if anybody had a good reference, including worked examples so one can readilly do such easy things as calculating the static potential between two (infinitely heavy) quarks.

Any suggestion more than welcome.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
A "classic" introduction to lattice QCD is Gupta, hep-lat/9807028, lecture notes from the 1997 Les Houches Summer School. I believe he does go through things like calculating the interquark static potential. (Is this the arXiv primer you mention? If not, I'd be curious to know what yours is.)

Lattice books by Creutz and Montvay & Munster are even more classic, though still worthwhile. More recent books are Smit's "Introduction to Quantum Fields on a Lattice" and "Lattice Methods for Quantum Chromodynamics" by DeGrand and DeTar, which I'm now most of the way through. There's a nice review of DeGrand & DeTar on Georg von Hippel's "Life on the Lattice" blog, latticeqcd.blogspot.com.

If you want actual code, I don't have too much I can offer. The QDP (QCD Data Parallel) software includes some examples, but it requires other SciDAC modules and the examples are mainly to show how to use various QDP routines. I don't think you'll get much out of playing with it (but if you do want to install it, let me know and I can make it much easier for you).

daschaich said:
...If you want actual code, I don't have too much I can offer. The QDP (QCD Data Parallel) software includes some examples, but it requires other SciDAC modules and the examples are mainly to show how to use various QDP routines. I don't think you'll get much out of playing with it (but if you do want to install it, let me know and I can make it much easier for you).

Actually, I forgot that the tutorial from the SciDAC workshop at MIT last year is online: web.mit.edu/bgl/scidac-2007 . To actually compile and run the example programs you would need to install QDP and its dependencies, but you may be able to get something out of reading the notes and code they have there.

1. What is static potential in lattice calculations?

Static potential in lattice calculations refers to the potential energy between two particles in a lattice system that is at rest or in equilibrium. It is a measure of the attractive or repulsive force between the particles at a specific distance.

2. How is static potential calculated in lattice calculations?

Static potential is calculated by using lattice calculations, which involve solving the Schrödinger equation for a given lattice system. This involves using numerical methods to calculate the potential energy at different lattice points and then interpolating to obtain the potential energy between any two points in the lattice.

3. What is the importance of calculating static potential in lattice calculations?

The calculation of static potential in lattice calculations is important for understanding the interactions between particles in a lattice system. It can provide valuable insights into the stability and behavior of the system, and can be used to predict the properties of the system under different conditions.

4. What are some limitations of calculating static potential in lattice calculations?

One limitation of calculating static potential in lattice calculations is that it assumes a static or equilibrium system. In reality, systems are often dynamic and constantly changing, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated potential. Additionally, lattice calculations can become computationally intensive for large systems.

5. How is the accuracy of calculated static potential in lattice calculations validated?

The accuracy of calculated static potential in lattice calculations is typically validated by comparing the results to experimental data or to theoretical predictions from other methods. Additionally, the calculations can be repeated with different parameters or methods to assess the consistency of the results.