Complete Lattice: Is Maximal Element Whole Lattice?

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lattice
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a complete lattice and the possibility of using it to approach set theory. The idea of a "maximal element" is also explored, with one potential solution being a single-element lattice. The conversation also touches on the issue of defining subsets and avoiding Russell's paradox.
phoenixthoth
by lattice, i mean definition 2 at http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete+lattice .

this is probably ill-posed but here goes nothing...

is there a nonempty lattice such that the maximal element of the lattice is the whole lattice?

a <= b if and only if a v b = b

so what i mean by a maximal element is an element b such that for all a in the lattice, a <= b. is there a lattice such that such a b is the whole lattice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
is there a nonempty lattice such that the maximal element of the lattice is the whole lattice?

I'm not sure what you mean by that; how can an element of the lattice be the lattice?

The only way I can think to do that is if the lattice consists of a single element and you identify the lattice with that element.

i'm thinking some kind of self-similarity would be involved. perhaps that a lattice of only one element is the only possible answer. thanks.

lattice set theory

i'm sure this has been tried before but perhaps one can approach set theory through lattices as defined in definition 2 of http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete+lattice .

two axioms of lattice set theory would be
1. there is an element in the lattice, Ø, such that for all x,
x^Ø=Ø and x v Ø=x and
2. there is an element in the lattice, U, such that for all x,
x^U=x and x v U=U.

another would be that x^y=y^x and x v y=y v x.

i'm suspecting there might be a problem when one allows x to be U or Ø in the two axioms:
1. (x=U). U^Ø=Ø and U v Ø = U.
2. (x=Ø). Ø^U=Ø and Ø v U = U. ok, i guess there's no contradiction so far.

i'm trying to avoid fuzzy logic, if possible, at least for right now.

one of the main issues is how to restate a version of the subsets axiom. i think the definiion of subset would have to be that x is a subset of y if and only if x<=y which means x v y=y. i'd like to have a subsests axiom so that given a y and well-formed-formula (wff) p, there is an x such that z &isin; x iff (z &isin; y and p(z)). just a thought: in two-valued logic, p(z) is either true or false. maybe i can switch and to meet, ^, and define p(z) to be U if p(z) is true and Ø if p(z) is false. the other problem will be to define &isin; . i'd want it to be defined in terms of meet and join and so that x is a subset of y if and only if (z &isin; x implies z &isin; y). one random candidate is that x &isin; y would be the same as x<y which means that (x!=y and x<=y). well, whatever &isin; means, S(y,p):={z &isin; y : p(z)} could be defined so that z &isin; S(y,p) iff (z &isin; y)^p(z) or something...

however i handle the subsets axiom, i want to avoid russell's paradox, of course. that would be the case of s:=S(U,p) where p(z) says z ! &isin; z when one asks if s &isin; s.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a complete lattice?

A complete lattice is a partially ordered set in which any subset has both a least upper bound (supremum) and a greatest lower bound (infimum).

2. What is a maximal element in a complete lattice?

A maximal element in a complete lattice is an element that is greater than or equal to all other elements in the lattice, except for itself.

3. How is a maximal element different from a maximum element in a complete lattice?

A maximum element in a complete lattice is an element that is greater than or equal to all other elements in the lattice, including itself. A maximal element, on the other hand, may not exist in every complete lattice and is only greater than or equal to all other elements except for itself.

4. What is the relationship between a maximal element and a complete lattice?

A maximal element is a key concept in the study of complete lattices. It helps to determine the structure and properties of a complete lattice, including the existence of a maximum element and the uniqueness of the supremum and infimum for any subset of the lattice.

5. How do you determine if a maximal element exists in a complete lattice?

To determine if a maximal element exists in a complete lattice, you must first check if the lattice has a maximum element. If a maximum element exists, then it is also the maximal element. If a maximum element does not exist, then you must check if there is an element that is greater than or equal to all other elements in the lattice, except for itself. If such an element exists, then it is the maximal element.