1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lauarent Series of 1/(1+z^2)

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    Find the Laurent series that converges for [tex]0 < | z - i| < R[/tex] of

[tex]\frac {1}{1 + z^2}[/tex]

I have been given the hint to break it up as

[tex]\frac {1}{1 + z^2} = (\frac {1}{z - i})(\frac {1}{z + i})[/tex] and then expand [tex]\frac {1}{z + i}[/tex] . I am kind of confused about this, because the series is centered at $i$. I'm not exactly sure how to do it because the center isn't 0.

The solution is -[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}(\frac {i}{2})^{2n + 1}(z - i)^{n - 1}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You could let z = w+i, and expand in powers of w. Then, at the end, set w = z-i.

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You learned a long time ago that the general Taylor's series (as opposed to Maclaurin series) is about "x= a" rather than "x= 0". You want to expand [tex]\frac{1}{z+i}[/itex] around z= i: in powers of (z- i). You could do that by taking derivatives and doing an actual Taylor's series expansion, evaluating the derivatives at z= i rather than at z= 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?