Launch Advantages in the East Direction?

In summary, launching a rocket towards the east is beneficial because the Earth's rotation provides an initial tangential speed, reducing the mechanical energy needed to reach orbit. This advantage is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which is retained regardless of whether the launch is vertical or easterly. Launching to the east also takes advantage of the Earth's orbital motion around the sun, further aiding in reaching the necessary orbital velocity. Launching to the west, on the other hand, requires more energy as it goes against the Earth's rotation. Additionally, launching near the equator is preferable due to the faster rotational speed. The lowest orbital speed required to stay on a circular orbit is known as the first cosmic speed and is a function of the distance
student34
I have read numerous explanations as to why it is beneficial to launch a rocket in the eastern direction. I know that it's true because NASA's website http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/launch-windows/en/ even claims this. But it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I understand that the Earth is spinning at about 410 m/s towards the east. I also understand that the 410 m/s is an initial tangential speed that lessons the mechanical energy needed to reach an orbit.

So then what advantage does an easterly launch bring? The conservation of angular momentum conserves the tangential speed of 410 m/s, so that will be there whether it is a vertical launch or an easterly launch. Therefore, it seems that any easterly motion is just going to add to the 410 m/s that the rocket starts with. And the vertical launch costs the same amount of potential energy no matter what angle it gets launched at.

Can someone please make sense of this.

I left out the orbital help of the Earth around the Sun to keep this simple for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vertical launch? Launching vertically doesn't get you into orbit. The choices are east and west. If you launch to the east, you need to gain 820 m/s less speed than if you launch to the west. That's it.

The energy expended to reach a certain vertical altitude is the same no matter which way you launch. The key lies in the fact that to establish an orbit a ship needs to reach a certain velocity around the Earth. If you launch towards the east, you have an advantage in that the ship is already moving. Launching to the west means that not only do you not have this added velocity to help you, but you actually have to spend more energy to get yourself going in the other direction.

russ_watters said:
Launching vertically doesn't get you into orbit.
Not into a low Earth orbit, but eventually into some higher orbit.

student34 said:
Can someone please make sense of this.
If you are moving 3 meters per second east and you want to end up moving at least 5 meters per second in some direction, how can you do so most cheaply?

You can thrust east and spend 2 meters per second of delta-v.
You can thrust north and spend 4 meters per second of delta-v.
You can thrust west and spend 8 meters per second of delta-v.

The choice is simple.

That's also why it is preferable to launch from a base near the equator than from one at high latitudes. the closer to the equator, the faster is your motion due to Earth's spin.

As Drak wrote, you need some minimum velocity to stay on the orbit (in Polish it is called 1st cosmic speed, no idea what is the English name). To leave the planet you need to reach so called escape velocity - around 11.2 km/s for Earth. Starting to the east you have already part of that speed.

No, that's something a little bit different. 1st cosmic is the lowest orbital speed required to keep an object on a circular orbit[STRIKE] (so the orbital speed can take any value between 1st cosmic and escape velocity). [/STRIKE]

Numerically it is escape velocity/square root of 2.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand. Orbital speed for a circular orbit starts off very high when orbiting close to the body, and ends up very low when very far away, right? So the lowest orbital speed would be nearly zero when the object is extremely far away. Or have I misunderstood something?

Sorry, I am an idiot. I got caught by the way it is explained in most books here.

Let's say I am on the surface of the Earth and I want to throw an object horizontally, so that it will stay on the orbit. The lowest speed required is around 7.9 km/s and that's the 1st cosmic speed.

The important part being "the lowest at the distance R, equal to planet radius".

I think that's called the LEO speed where LEO stands for Low Earth Orbit

The first cosmic speed is a term rarely used in English literature. I believe the term, along with the terms second, third and fourth cosmic speed was introduced by Ary Sternfeld, a Jewish-Polish-Soviet rocket science pioneer, possibly in the course of his correspondence with Tsiolkovsky.

All of those speeds are functions of the distance from some point of interest. The first and the second speeds are usually given at the surface of a gravitating body.

Ah, of course, thanks everybody!

A.T. said:
Not into a low Earth orbit, but eventually into some higher orbit.

If you launch straight up you will never get into orbit, you will always fall back down to the earth, unless you have escape velocity, in which case you would be in orbit around the Sun.

QuantumPion said:
If you launch straight up you will never get into orbit,
Why not? If I launch vertically at the equator, I have a tangential speed of 465m/s, which is the circular orbital speed at some height.

Last edited:
QuantumPion said:
If you launch straight up you will never get into orbit, you will always fall back down to the earth

Are you considering the rotation of the Earth and the initial transverse velocity it gives the rocket?

Include it and the angular momentum that it implies, and you'll end up in some elliptical orbit. I don't have time now to calculate whether that orbit intersects the surface of the earth, may try later if someone else doesn't get there first.

Nugatory said:
Are you considering the rotation of the Earth and the initial transverse velocity it gives the rocket?

Include it and the angular momentum that it implies, and you'll end up in some elliptical orbit. I don't have time now to calculate whether that orbit intersects the surface of the earth, may try later if someone else doesn't get there first.

If it is a closed orbit (ellipitical) rather than open (hyperbolic, parabolic) then clearly it intersects the surface of the earth. Perigee is attained prior to launch and is subterranean. In a little less than one complete orbit the rocket will be back at perigee again, below the surface.

jbriggs444 said:
If it is a closed orbit (ellipitical) rather than open (hyperbolic, parabolic) then clearly it intersects the surface of the earth. Perigee is attained prior to launch and is subterranean. In a little less than one complete orbit the rocket will be back at perigee again, below the surface.

Right - thanks.

jbriggs444 said:
If it is a closed orbit (ellipitical) rather than open (hyperbolic, parabolic) then clearly it intersects the surface of the earth.
If you start vertically at the equator and fire your engines long enough, then you can reach a closed orbit that doesn't intersect the Earth.

Maybe, but firing vertically against gravity is a horribly inefficient way of gaining orbital energy, so it should be immediately dismissed in a thread about efficient orbital launches.

Lsos said:
Maybe, but firing vertically against gravity is a horribly inefficient way of gaining orbital energy,
Inefficient, but not impossible as claimed here by multiple people.

Theoretically possible or not(and I'm not convinced either way, but really don't care enough to invent and analyze a scenario), it isn't done. The big picture was what was important for the OP.

Last edited:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1376231/Shavit: Because of its geographic location and hostile relations with surrounding countries, Israel must launch its vehicles to the west, over the Mediterranean Sea, in order to avoid flying over those countries. This necessity imposes a penalty of 30 percent on the Shavit’s lifting capability, since the Shavit is unable to take advantage of the velocity imparted by Earth’s rotation.

1. What are the main advantages of launching in the east direction?

The main advantage of launching in the east direction is due to the Earth's rotation. Since the Earth rotates from west to east, launching towards the east takes advantage of this rotation and adds extra momentum to the spacecraft, making it easier and more energy-efficient to reach its desired orbit. Additionally, launching in the east direction allows for a wider range of orbital inclinations to be achieved, providing more flexibility for the mission.

2. Does the location of the launch site affect the advantage of launching in the east direction?

Yes, the location of the launch site can affect the advantage of launching in the east direction. The closer the launch site is to the equator, the greater the advantage, as the Earth's rotation is fastest at the equator. Launching from a location closer to the poles would have a smaller advantage due to the slower rotation speed.

3. Are there any disadvantages to launching in the east direction?

One potential disadvantage of launching in the east direction is the possibility of overflying populated areas during launch. This can pose safety concerns and may require additional safety precautions to be implemented. Another potential disadvantage is that launching in the east direction may not be feasible for certain missions that require a specific orbit or trajectory.

4. What types of spacecraft benefit the most from launching in the east direction?

Typically, spacecraft that require a higher orbit or are carrying heavy payloads benefit the most from launching in the east direction. This includes satellites for communication, Earth observation, and weather monitoring, as well as spacecraft destined for geostationary or geosynchronous orbits.

5. Are there any cultural or historical reasons for launching in the east direction?

Yes, there are cultural and historical reasons for launching in the east direction. In many cultures, the east is symbolically associated with new beginnings and growth. Therefore, launching towards the east can be seen as a symbolic gesture of embarking on a new journey or adventure. Additionally, the first successful satellite launch, Sputnik 1, was launched towards the east by the Soviet Union in 1957, setting a precedent for future launches in that direction.