1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Launch with Chains

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    I've read the FAQ and this is not homework, it is just a hard problem I can't solve.

Conservation of energy cannot be used because inelastic collisions occur in bringing parts of the rope from zero velocity to v

I start by setting up that the total mass at a position y is:
    [tex]M_{total}=M+\lambda\cdot y[/tex] and thus the momentum at any position is given by:

[tex]p=(M+\lambda\cdot y)\cdot v[/tex] but I can't figure out an expression for v and using

[tex]F=\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex] I get an differential equation I can't solve.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi benf.stokes! :smile:
    No, you can use conservation of energy …

the question asks for the maximum height, which would be in the limiting case of no energy loss. :wink:

As for the question itself, I don't understand what position the mass and chain are in at the start. :confused:

4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    Hi tiny-tim. I think that conservation of energy can't be used is a part of the problem,my bad, and if you used conservation of energy wouldn't you get at most a square root and not a cubic one?
    At the start both the mass and the chain are at rest on the floor. Thanks for the reply

5. Jun 7, 2010 #4
    i already arrived at the solution. Thanks anyway tiny-tim :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook