Max Altitude Reached by Rocket at 53° Angle

In summary, a rocket is launched at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 100 m/s. After moving for 3 seconds along its initial straight line of motion with an acceleration of 30m/s^2, the rocket reaches a maximum altitude of 374.58m. To calculate the final velocity for the acceleration of 9.8m/s^2, the initial velocity used should be the vertical component of the initial velocity, which is 79.86m/s. The first part of the flight can be broken down into components, but since it is a straight line with constant acceleration, it is not necessary. The second part of the flight involves projectile motion.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

a rocket is launched at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 100 m/s. the rocket moves for 3 s along its initial straight line of motion with an acceleration of 30m/s^2. FInd the max altitude reached by the rocket

Homework Equations

y=y0 + v0*t +1/2*g*t^(2)

v0y=v0sin(53)
v0x=v0cos(53)

vy=v0y+g*t

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity components:

v0y=100m/s*sin(53)=79.86m/s
v0x=100m/s*cos(53)=60.18m/s

Found the vertical distance with the acceleration of 30m/s^(2) for 3sec

y=y0 + v0*t +1/2*g*t^(2)
y=79.86m/s*3 sec + 1/2*30m/s*(3sec)^(2) =374.58m

now I am trying to find my final velocity for the acceleration of 30m/s^(2) for 3sec because that will be my initial velocity for the acceleration of 9.8m/s^(2)

I use this formula, vy=v0y+gt

I am not sure which v0y do I use. Do i just use the initial velocity of 100m/s or do I use my v0y that I calculated?(100*sin(53)=79.86m/s) Which one do I use and why? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
a rocket is launched at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 100 m/s. the rocket moves for 3 s along its initial straight line of motion with an acceleration of 30m/s^2. FInd the max altitude reached by the rocket

----------------------------------------
I guess after 3sec. the power is turned off.
Calculate(v1,x,y) first part of the flight given - v0=100m/s, θ=53° , 3sec and 30m/s2.
Second part is projectile motion.

azizlwl said:

----------------------------------------
I guess after 3sec. the power is turned off.
Calculate(v1,x,y) first part of the flight given - v0=100m/s, θ=53° , 3sec and 30m/s2.
Second part is projectile motion.

I see but how come I can't break up the first part into components?

First part is just a straight line with constant acceleration.

azizlwl said:
First part is just a straight line with constant acceleration.

Ok thank you. :)

1. How is the maximum altitude reached by a rocket at a 53° angle calculated?

The maximum altitude reached by a rocket at a 53° angle is calculated using a formula known as the range equation. This equation takes into account the initial velocity of the rocket, the angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the maximum altitude reached by a rocket at a 53° angle?

The maximum altitude reached by a rocket at a 53° angle can be affected by a variety of factors, including the rocket's initial velocity, mass, and aerodynamic properties. External factors such as air resistance and wind can also impact the rocket's performance.

3. How does changing the angle of launch affect the maximum altitude reached by a rocket?

Changing the angle of launch can significantly impact the maximum altitude reached by a rocket. Generally, a higher angle will result in a higher maximum altitude, as the rocket spends more time in the air and experiences less air resistance. However, if the angle is too high, the rocket may not have enough horizontal velocity to overcome gravity and reach a high altitude.

4. What is the significance of reaching a maximum altitude of 53° for a rocket?

Reaching a maximum altitude of 53° for a rocket can have several implications. This angle is often considered to be the optimal launch angle for rockets, as it balances the vertical and horizontal components of motion for maximum efficiency. Additionally, rockets that can reach this altitude may be capable of carrying heavier payloads or traveling longer distances.

5. Can a rocket reach a higher altitude than 53°?

Yes, a rocket can reach a higher altitude than 53°. The maximum altitude a rocket can reach is dependent on various factors, including its design and propulsion capabilities. However, in most cases, a 53° angle provides the best balance between altitude and efficiency for rocket launches.