Designing a Device for Efficient Golf Ball Launching | Physics Project Ideas

• Thread starter garrett32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Golf
In summary, the goal of the conversation is to design a device that will play a variant of golf, with the objective of striking a ball into a hole using as few strokes as possible. The device must adhere to certain rules, such as using only mechanical or electrical energy, not exceeding a $100 spending limit, and being able to fit through a classroom door. Suggestions for building the device include using a spring-loaded plunger, adding weight to the club, and using a PVC pipe with a bicycle inner tube as the rubber band. The conversation ends with the participants feeling confident and grateful for the ideas and suggestions provided.
garrett32
we have a physics project and the goal is to make a device that will play a variant of golf. we have to design a device to strike a ball into a hole using as few strokes as possible. there are going to be three holes we need to "play" with our machine- 1st 40yard straight 2nd a "dog leg" 30 yards each side and the 3rd a 70yard straight away.

i was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas that would allow for a ball to accurately and constantly launched from a movable device

here are the rules:
the launching mechanism must not use more than a minimum of human force,
the device must be able to easily reset after each trial,
you can select a "ball" that u wish to use,
ball must be spherical and not able to move under its own power,(darn)
the device should if at all possible not use any consumable parts if used they must be able to reset quickly,
spending limit no more than $100,
under no circumstances explosives, incendiary devices, or pressure-based devices of any kind can be used -this stinks:(
all energy put into device must be mechanical or electrical in nature,
must be safe,
device must be able to fit through class room door

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I am not sure if this doesn't belong into HW forum but it sounds fun to me, wish we had these projects.

I had an idea for the most basic device, well actually two, based on mechanical force. I made this little picture which should give you the idea: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3817/golfox9.jpg

If I assume that you don't have to base it on any calculations all you have to do, is build one of these two devices and take it on the golf field - or the place where are you supposed to show it so you have good idea about the amount of friction and obsticles the ball has to go through. Then apply certian force: for example lift the club by 40 degrees and let it go. Note how long far did it went and then try different angles or you can even try pushing it but then it might be more complicating calculating the force applied.
Work out how much you have to pull/push/lift for every of these lenghts and voila, you get very simple device.

Tachyon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to PF, Garret.
You could build it like a gun barrel, but with a spring-loaded plunger similar to (but much stronger than) one in a pinball machine. Your range could be dialled in by adjusting the spring tension. Using a Superball (if they still exist) rather than a golf should give you more distance for the amount of force applied.

what kind of spring would you recommend using and where could one buy a strong spring needed to build such a device?

Last edited:
Given the range involved, I'd be looking at grabbing a hood spring from a wrecked car. You can probably get it for free, or a couple of bucks at most.

One more suggestion

Or if you cannot get spring, you can use weight as additional way to get some extra power into it.
Vis.: http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6480/golfcopyjl2.jpg

- Closer the weight holder is to the end of the club: Adds more power.
- Add weight into the holder: Adds more power.
- Bigger the angle/higher the club is: Adds more power.
- You can modify the height and direction at which the ball will travel by adjusting the spot where the club hits the ball. So if you put the ball higher from the ground, higher it will fly.

I am sure you know all these things yourself. Advantage of this device is that its very easy to use and there are no springs involved which always complicate the building process. Ofcourse in the end it might be a bit heavier, but more stable and hopefully accurate.

Tachyon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just re-read your assignment rules and realized something that should have been obvious. As it is worded, Tiger Woods fulfills all criteria--with the probable exception of the cost limit. :biggrin:

thank you guys so much

tachyon- i like your suggestion and nice picture but how would you go about attaching the golf club securely enough so that we could add weights

Well I am sure its possible, you don't need to use golf club in the first place, you may chose to use only the end, and you can use welder to attach it... but that's something I can't you with. :) Go to engineering forum or ask your neighbour which spends most of his day in the garage.
Good Luck!

Tachyon.

thanks a lot! i was so worried when this project was assigned and i didnt have a clue of what to do, but now i am confident that i can do it, thanks to your help

We are thinking of building a sling shot but thinking about constructing it in a tube (PVC pipe) to have it more accurate. We were thinking of using a bycicle inner tube for the rubber band part( we thought it would be stronger and be able to launch the ball farther). Do you think this will work?

That's pretty much the way that I was thinking with the spring idea. You still need some sort of plunger to follow the ball up the tube, because the elastic band can't. I must admit that something like an inner tube would probably be easier to work with than a heavy spring.

1. How does the angle of launch affect the distance a golf ball travels?

The angle of launch is a crucial factor in determining the distance a golf ball travels. The ideal launch angle for maximum distance is typically between 10 and 12 degrees. If the angle is too low, the ball will not have enough lift to travel far. If the angle is too high, the ball will have too much lift and will not travel as far. This is due to the fact that the optimal angle allows for a balance between horizontal and vertical forces, resulting in the longest possible carry distance.

2. What is the impact of club head speed on the launch of a golf ball?

Club head speed is a major determinant of how far a golf ball will travel. The faster the club head speed, the more energy is transferred to the ball upon impact, resulting in a higher initial velocity. This translates to a longer carry distance. However, it is important to note that other factors such as angle of launch and club face position at impact also play a role in the final distance achieved.

3. How does the type of golf ball affect its launch?

The type of golf ball can have a significant impact on its launch. Different golf balls have varying levels of compression, which refers to how much the ball deforms upon impact. A higher compression ball will require a higher club head speed to achieve optimal launch, while a lower compression ball will launch easier with a lower club head speed. Additionally, the dimple pattern on the surface of the ball also affects its aerodynamics, which can impact the ball's trajectory and distance.

4. What role does the wind play in the launch of a golf ball?

Wind can greatly influence the launch of a golf ball. A headwind will slow the ball down and result in a shorter carry distance, while a tailwind will increase the ball's speed and result in a longer carry. Crosswinds can also have an impact on the trajectory of the ball, causing it to veer off course. As a result, golfers must factor in wind conditions when determining their club selection and shot strategy.

5. How does the height of the tee affect the launch of a golf ball?

The height of the tee can impact the launch of a golf ball in several ways. A higher tee will allow for a higher angle of attack, resulting in a higher launch angle and potentially more carry distance. However, a lower tee can also be beneficial for certain shots, such as when hitting into the wind or attempting to keep the ball low under tree branches. Ultimately, the height of the tee should be adjusted based on the golfer's individual swing and the desired shot outcome.