Launching from Mars - Mass & Radius of R_m

• Thread starter soupastupid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary: All you are given is the mass and radius of Mars. You need to use Newton's universal gravity law to calculate the force. From what you have stated, the object has a mass of m and a radius of R_m. Therefore, the force is F=Gm1m2/R^2. This equation will give you the amount of work done by Mars.
soupastupid

Homework Statement

The Radius of Mars is R_m
its mass is m

The radius of Mars (from the center to just above the atmosphere) is R_m and its mass is m. An object is launched from just above the atmosphere of mars.

A) what is the object's initial velocity if its final velocity is V_f

Homework Equations

a=(v^2)/R <--wat v is this?
W=deltaKE

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to start

im thinking i need to calculate the gravity from mars?
but if all I am given is mass and radius
how do i calculate it?

i need to find the amount of work done by Mars right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to use Newtons universal gravity law...

F=(GM1M2)R^2

This means that the force is equal to the constant G (6.67X10^-11) multiped by both masses, all of this divided by the distance between them squared.

this will get you the Force.

So now you have force, you know that Fnet=ma, so the acceleration will be {(Gm1m2)/R^2}/m

finally, Vf^2-Vo^2=2a(x), so you simply solve using the above equation as a, and they just say to use Vo i believe
I don't think this is a problem you shoudl get numbers for, it seems like a concept that you just want to work through with different equations and not really use numbers.

This is just from what I understand.

Good luck!

im solving for Vo

the object is launched from above the atmosphere

im given the distance between object and Mars (R_m)
and I'm given the weight of Mars (m)

and I'm given Vf of the object

so what I did (but I did not get a good answer)

was use

F=Gm1m2/r^2

m1 = object
m2 = mars
r=distance from Mars and object

so the F equals

F= Gm1m2/(R_m)^2

and then I think I'm suppose this formua

total W = deltaKE

F*d = .5m1vf^2 - .5m1vo^2

but how do I find d?

I think this is right

how do I use

vf^2-vo^2 = 2a (x) <--whats x ?

With what you have you won't be able to find work and finding energy is also not going to work out. I can't help if you don't supply numbers, I solved it simply with the units, plugging the numbers in should have yielded the answer.

From what I can understand by your explanation that is anyway, it doesn't seem like work is in anyway involved.

1. What is the relationship between the mass and radius of Mars?

The mass and radius of Mars are directly related, meaning that as one increases, the other also increases. This is because mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, and the radius is a measure of the size of the object. In general, larger objects tend to have more mass.

2. How does the mass and radius of Mars compare to Earth?

Mars is significantly smaller than Earth, with a radius of approximately 3,390 kilometers compared to Earth's radius of 6,371 kilometers. However, Mars has a similar mass to Earth, with a mass of approximately 6.39 x 10^23 kilograms compared to Earth's mass of 5.97 x 10^24 kilograms.

3. Why do we need to know the mass and radius of Mars for launching from its surface?

The mass and radius of Mars are important factors to consider when launching from its surface because they determine the strength of its gravitational pull. The larger the mass and radius, the stronger the gravity. This can affect the amount of fuel needed and the trajectory of the launch.

4. How do scientists determine the mass and radius of Mars?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the mass and radius of Mars, including satellite measurements and gravitational calculations. One method is the use of the Mars Orbiter Mission, which collects data on the planet's gravity and topography to determine its mass and radius.

5. Can the mass and radius of Mars change over time?

Yes, the mass and radius of Mars can change over time, although the changes are very gradual. Factors such as impacts from meteorites, volcanic activity, and the loss of atmosphere can affect the planet's mass and radius. However, these changes are not significant enough to affect space launches from Mars in the near future.