Launching Mechanism: Design & Build for 400 Gram Projectiles

• Thread starter hail_thy_gt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the conversation revolved around the design and construction of a beverage launcher. The original poster is looking for guidance on what devices to use and how to control the mechanism using an ECU. They initially wanted a purely mechanical engine-driven launcher, but are now open to using trebuchets or catapults with an elastic energy storage system. They also mentioned the possibility of using robotic arms with 2 degrees of freedom. The ECU would allow for autonomous control of launch angle and speed.
hail_thy_gt
Hello folks,

I have very little robotic experience, so would like to start my knowledge accumulation here at PhysicsForums.

I am trying to design and build a launching mechanism to launch a 400 gram projectile. I was hoping to get a bit of guidance in what devices I should be looking into; motors, actuators, so forth. How are robotic arms constructed? What drives them? (As I write this, I'm almost preparing for someone to throw me a website of some sort for elementary questions such as this. That's fine.)

Typical energy stored launching devices such as trebuchets or catapults are something I'm not looking into. In addition, pneumatic and hydraulic systems are also undesirable.

I want to be able to control the mechanism with an ECU. This is something I have experience in doing, but don't have enough knowledge of mechanical components out there.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please help us get a bit better understanding of what you are trying to do.
It seems that you are looking for an engine driven launcher, purely mechanical, no hydraulics or pneumatics. no energy storage. So presumably something with an engine and a clutch?
Not sure what the applicability of an ECU would be, are they not mostly to optimize engine management?

etudiant,

Thank you for the response. I'm essentially trying to construct a beverage launcher. I have seen others out-there, but I'm trying to re-invent it a little with my own spin, and keeping it simple.

Earlier when I was thinking of trebuchets or catapults, I had my horse-blinders on and was thinking the only way to utilize them was through a counterweight; essentially driven by gravity and linkages. I want to retract that statement and say I would be completely open to using either trebuchets or catapults, if I can store energy in an elastic system. So, if I drive the system using a rotary or linear actuator with a sprocket to store energy in a torsional spring - that would work.

Now my question is are there other methods of obtaining this? An engine and a clutch seems to be an overkill. I had this idea of robotic arms swinging with 2 degrees of freedom. So, was trying to identify what sort of mechanical arrangement would help me achieve that.

The ECU would enable me to control the launch angle and speed of "said device." So that when I bring into the equation a feedback sensor, it can determine the launch angle and speed autonomously, and deliver the beverage.

I hope I'm being clear. Sorry. I had written a much longer explanation, but for the sake of rambling and your time, I've shortened it. If I get more pointed questions, I can provide additional information.

1. What is a launching mechanism?

A launching mechanism is a device or system designed to propel an object, such as a projectile, into motion.

2. What is the purpose of designing and building a launching mechanism for 400 gram projectiles?

The purpose of designing and building a launching mechanism for 400 gram projectiles is to achieve a specific velocity and trajectory for the projectiles in order to accurately hit a target or achieve a desired result.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a launching mechanism?

Some factors to consider when designing a launching mechanism include the weight and shape of the projectile, the desired velocity and trajectory, the type of propulsion system, and the materials and components used in the mechanism.

4. How can we optimize the design of a launching mechanism for 400 gram projectiles?

To optimize the design of a launching mechanism for 400 gram projectiles, we can use computer simulations and modeling to test different designs and determine the most efficient and effective option. Additionally, real-world testing and adjustments can also help to optimize the design.

5. Are there any safety considerations when building a launching mechanism for 400 gram projectiles?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when designing and building a launching mechanism. Some safety considerations to keep in mind include proper handling and storage of materials and components, ensuring the mechanism is stable and secure, and having safety mechanisms in place to prevent accidental firing or injury.