Launge a spring on a inclinded plane in a bucket?

In summary, to find the length needed to pull a spring attached to an inclined plane and release it into a bucket, it is important to clearly define the variables and parameters, draw a diagram, and break down the problem into smaller parts. This can be done by considering the forces acting on the spring, using the equations of motion, and applying the conservation of energy principle.
ajkly
launge a spring on a inclinded plane in a bucket??

Homework Statement

ok I am ask to find the length i have to pull on the spring hooked to the edge of a inclinded plane and release it to shoot the spring into the bucket. anyoen have any idea how to do it??

Homework Equations

i had worked out some of the possible solusions..
range formula = ((v^2)/fg)sin2(theata)
rearragne for V
V= root [ (R)(fg)/sin2theata ] - eq'n 1
Fnet = Fa - (Ff + fg sin theata), inclinded plane equations
Fa = Ee (elastic energy of the spring)
Ee = 1/2 K X^2 , K= spring constant, X = the length which the spring is being stretched and its the thign i want to find
sub Ee = Fa = 1/2 Kx^2 into Fnet equation
Fnet = 1/2 kx^2 -fg (fg cos theata mUK (friction coeificent) + fg sin theata)
EK = 1/2 m v^2
EK = F d cos theata
equate them together
1/2 m v^2 = F d cos theata , assuming d = length of inclinded plane
than sub in equation V and equation Fnet as F into 1/2 m v^2 = F d cos theata then
rearrange for X which is the length which i have to pull to fire the spring into the bucket

The Attempt at a Solution

i kinda type attempt at solution up there ...sry..

so yea after i rearrange for x and put in possible values for all variables...the answer doesn't seem to be ... realistic enough to believe...coz i can't do the lab now at home...coz i don't have the materals...but my lab is tmr... anyone got any idea??
thx =]

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to offer some suggestions on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to clearly define the variables and parameters involved in the problem. From your post, it seems like the incline angle (theta), the spring constant (K), and the coefficient of friction (mu) are known. However, it is not clear what the other variables represent. It would be helpful to define them and their units.

Secondly, it might be useful to draw a diagram or sketch of the setup to visualize the problem better. This will also help in identifying any assumptions made and potential sources of error.

Next, I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. For example, you could first determine the initial velocity (V) of the spring after it is released from the incline. This could be done by considering the forces acting on the spring and using the equations of motion.

Once you have the initial velocity, you can then calculate the maximum height (H) that the spring will reach. This can be done by using the conservation of energy principle and equating the initial kinetic energy of the spring to its potential energy at the maximum height.

Finally, you can calculate the length (X) that the spring needs to be pulled to achieve the desired initial velocity. This can be done by using the equations you have mentioned in your post and solving for X.

I hope these suggestions will help you in solving the problem. It is always important to carefully analyze the problem, define the variables, and break it down into smaller parts to find the solution. Good luck with your lab tomorrow!

1. How does a spring behave on an inclined plane in a bucket?

A spring on an inclined plane in a bucket will behave in a similar manner to a spring on a flat surface. The spring will compress or extend based on the force applied to it, and the angle of the incline will not significantly affect its behavior. However, if the incline is steep enough, the spring may slide down the surface.

2. What factors affect the behavior of a spring on an inclined plane in a bucket?

The behavior of a spring on an inclined plane in a bucket is mainly affected by the force applied to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the friction between the spring and the surface of the incline. The weight of the bucket may also have a slight influence on the behavior of the spring.

3. Can the spring be launched off the inclined plane in a bucket?

Yes, it is possible for the spring to be launched off the inclined plane in a bucket if enough force is applied to it. This can be achieved by compressing the spring and releasing it, causing it to move up the incline and potentially launching it out of the bucket if the force is strong enough.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the behavior of the spring?

The angle of the incline will only have a significant effect on the behavior of the spring if it is steep enough to cause the spring to slide down the surface. Otherwise, the angle of the incline will not greatly affect the behavior of the spring, as long as it remains stable and does not move or shift.

5. Can the spring be launched at different angles on the inclined plane in a bucket?

Yes, the spring can be launched at different angles on the inclined plane in a bucket. This can be achieved by adjusting the position of the spring on the incline, as well as the angle at which it is released. The steeper the incline, the greater the angle at which the spring can be launched.