1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Launge a spring on a inclinded plane in a bucket?

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    launge a spring on a inclinded plane in a bucket??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ok im ask to find the length i have to pull on the spring hooked to the edge of a inclinded plane and release it to shoot the spring in to the bucket. anyoen have any idea how to do it??

2. Relevant equations
    i had worked out some of the possible solusions..
    range formula = ((v^2)/fg)sin2(theata)
    rearragne for V
    V= root [ (R)(fg)/sin2theata ] - eq'n 1
    Fnet = Fa - (Ff + fg sin theata), inclinded plane equations
    Fa = Ee (elastic energy of the spring)
    Ee = 1/2 K X^2 , K= spring constant, X = the length which the spring is being stretched and its the thign i want to find
    sub Ee = Fa = 1/2 Kx^2 in to Fnet equation
    Fnet = 1/2 kx^2 -fg (fg cos theata mUK (friction coeificent) + fg sin theata)
    EK = 1/2 m v^2
    EK = F d cos theata
    equate them together
    1/2 m v^2 = F d cos theata , assuming d = length of inclinded plane
    than sub in equation V and equation Fnet as F in to 1/2 m v^2 = F d cos theata then
    rearrange for X which is the length which i have to pull to fire the spring in to the bucket

3. The attempt at a solution
    i kinda type attempt at solution up there ...sry..

so yea after i rearrange for x and put in possible values for all variables...the answer doesnt seem to be .... realistic enough to believe....coz i cant do the lab now at home...coz i dont have the materals...but my lab is tmr... anyone got any idea??
    thx =]

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted