Laurent and Taylor series in the unit disc

In summary, the problem asks for the proof of z_0 = lim_(n→∞) a_n/a_(n+1) for a function f(z) that is analytic for all |z|≤1 except for a first order pole at z_0 on the circle |z|=1. The key to solving this lies in the overlap between the regions of convergence of the Taylor and Laurent series, allowing for a value of z that works in both series. Attempts using the binomial theorem and the residue theorem have been made, but have not yielded the desired result. Further assistance is needed to solve this problem.
Grothard

Homework Statement

Let f(z) be a function that is analytic for all |z|≤1, with the exception of z_0, which lies on the circle |z|=1. f(z) has a first order pole at z_0. Letting Ʃ a_n z^n be the Maclaurin expansion of the function, prove that z_0 = lim_(n→∞) a_n/a_(n+1)

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion about z=0, Laurent expansion about z=z_0, Residue theorems

The Attempt at a Solution

I have studied this one extensively but can't quite see where that resulting limit is coming from. The fact that there is overlap between the regions of convergence of the Taylor and the Laurent series I think might be key, as is means we can fix a value of z that works in both series. I tried setting the Taylor series equal to the Laurent series about z_0, but to extract all the z_0 out of terms in the form b_n (z-z_0)^n I would have to use a lot of the binomial theorem, which doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also tried using the residue theorem, but that just yields an expression for a_0 (the residue at z_0). Any help is much appreciated.

What is a Laurent series in the unit disc?

A Laurent series in the unit disc is a representation of a complex-valued function as an infinite sum of terms, including both positive and negative powers of the variable, within a circular region in the complex plane with a radius of 1. It is named after the French mathematician Pierre Alphonse Laurent.

What is a Taylor series in the unit disc?

A Taylor series in the unit disc is a representation of a complex-valued function as an infinite sum of terms, including only positive powers of the variable, within a circular region in the complex plane with a radius of 1. It is named after the English mathematician Brook Taylor.

How are Laurent and Taylor series related?

Laurent series and Taylor series are related in that both are methods for representing complex-valued functions as infinite sums of terms within a circular region in the complex plane with a radius of 1. The main difference is that Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers of the variable, while Taylor series only includes positive powers.

What is the difference between a pole and a singularity in a Laurent series?

In a Laurent series, a pole is a term with a negative power of the variable, while a singularity is a term with a positive power of the variable. Poles are associated with essential singularities, while singularities can be either removable or non-removable.

How is a Laurent series used in mathematics and science?

Laurent series are used in mathematics and science to approximate and analyze complex-valued functions within a specified region. They are especially useful in areas such as complex analysis, signal processing, and physics, where complex-valued functions are commonly encountered.