Understanding Laurent Expansions: Examining Singularities

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
In summary, a Laurent expansion is a series expansion of a function that allows for negative powers of x, making it useful for analyzing functions with singularities. It can be used in applications like contour integration and can classify different types of singularities.
latentcorpse
ok. I'm really confused by these.

(i) what's the difference between a Laurent expansion and Taylor expansion?

(ii) as i understand it, the point of these is to examine singularities of the complex function we're dealing with but, how do we actually go about doing it?

my notes on this were pretty rushed so aren't paricularly useful and i can't understand the wikipedia entry. anybody help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
A taylor expansion is the "representation" of a function in terms of an (infinite) sum of powers of x, with coefficients evaluated at some point x=a.

However, this expansion breaks down as soon as the function has some singularity. For example, the function 1/x doesn't admit a Taylor expansion around x = a = 0. We can try to circumvent this by choosing some a unequal to zero, but the Taylor expansion would still not be valid beyond the point x = 0.

The solution is that we can still achieve a series expansion by admitting also negative exponents for x in the expansion. As a result, we are able to classify a lot more functions than before (which is good!). So all in all, a Laurent expansion admits for the possibility to come up with a series expansion when the function contains singularities. It's sort of a "better" version of the Taylor expansion, since by definition the Taylor expansion is contained in the Laurent expansion (check it).

The most practical use of a Laurent expansion is in the application to contour integral. There is a famous lemma that states that the integral along a closed contour over the complex plane for some analytic function is equal to the sum of the residues contained within this contour.

But to be fair, you got to be a bit more specific on what details you want to hear...

(i) A Taylor series, centered at a point [tex]a[/tex], has the form

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}c_n(z-a)^n[/tex]

and converges on a disk-shaped region (or just at [tex]a[/tex])
A Laurent series, on the other hand, can also have negative powers:

[tex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}c_n(z-a)^n[/tex].

and converges on an annulus in general.

There is a formula for computing the coefficients [tex]c_n[/tex] in terms of path integrals which can be found in the wikipedia article.

(ii) Assume f is a holomorphic functions with a singularity at [tex]a[/tex]. Then the Laurent series converges on a punctured disk centered at [tex]a[/tex]. The type of singularity can be read off from the coefficients [tex]c_n[/tex] with [tex]n<0[/tex].

-If they are all 0, then f has a removable singularity at [tex]a[/tex]

-If only finitely many are nonzero, then f has a pole at [tex]a[/tex]

-If infinitely many are nonzero, then f has an essential singularity at [tex]a[/tex]

The residue of f at [tex]a[/tex], important for computing path integrals (see residue theorem), is the coefficient [tex]c_{-1}[/tex].

1. What are Laurent expansions?

Laurent expansions are mathematical expressions used to represent a complex function as a series of terms with increasing powers of a variable. They are similar to power series, but can also include negative powers of the variable.

2. How are Laurent expansions used to examine singularities?

Laurent expansions can be used to analyze the behavior of a complex function near a singularity, which is a point where the function is not defined or becomes infinite. The coefficients in the expansion can provide information about the type and strength of the singularity.

3. What is the significance of the principal part in a Laurent expansion?

The principal part of a Laurent expansion contains the terms with negative powers of the variable, and it represents the singularity of the function. The type of singularity can be determined by analyzing the coefficients in the principal part.

4. How are Laurent expansions different from Taylor series?

While Taylor series only include non-negative powers of the variable, Laurent expansions can also include negative powers. This allows for a more comprehensive representation of complex functions, particularly near singularities.

5. Can Laurent expansions be used to approximate functions?

Yes, Laurent expansions can be used as a tool for approximating complex functions near singularities. By truncating the expansion at a certain point, a finite polynomial can be obtained that approximates the function within a certain range.