1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series of 1/(e^z - 1)

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Obtain the first few terms of the Laurent series for the following function in the specified domain:

[itex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/itex] for [itex]0 < |z| < 2\pi.[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted a few approaches, but haven't really gotten anywhere. For instance, using a Maclaurin series for [itex]e^z[/itex] yields [itex]\frac{1}{e^z-1} = \frac{1}{z} \cdot \frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{2!}+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\cdots}[/itex]

Of course, [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex] can be written as [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi - (-z + 2\pi)} =\frac{1}{2\pi} \cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{-z+2\pi}{2\pi}}[/itex], and since the latter can be written as a geometric series in the given annulus, we have [itex]\frac{1}{z} = \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} (-1)^k (\frac{z-2\pi}{2\pi})^k.[/itex]

Actually, after further contemplation, I think I could set [itex]g(z) = \frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{2!}+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\cdots}[/itex] and differentiate that a few (infinitely many) times to find its Maclaurin series. I think termwise differentiation should be allowed in the annulus in question, since g should be analytic there. Then multiplication by 1/z yields the Laurent series?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you know the Laurent series of [itex]\frac{1}{z-1}[/itex]??

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    Regular Maclaurin (Taylor at z=0) series for [itex]|z|<1[/itex], i.e. [itex]-1-z-z^2-z^3-\cdots[/itex], and [itex]\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{z^{k+1}}[/itex] for [itex]|z|>1[/itex]?

So, [itex]\frac{1}{e^z - 1} = \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{e^{z(k+1)}}[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook