1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series of e^(1/z)

1. May 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cassify the singularities of [itex]e^\frac{1}{z} [/itex] and find the Laurent series

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]e^\frac{1}{x} [/itex]=[itex]\sum \frac{(\frac{1}{x})^n}{n!}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Theres a singularity at z=0, but I need to find the order of the pole

So using the general expression for the expansion of an exponential:
    [itex]e^\frac{1}{z} [/itex]=[itex]\sum \frac{(\frac{1}{z})^n}{n!}[/itex] but this leads to a 1 as the first term, which is obviously not consistent.

I also tried considering re-defining a new variable for [itex]\frac{1}{z} [/itex], but I'm not really sure how to proceed from here

Many thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the order of the pole for [itex]f(z)[/itex] at [itex]z=0[/itex] is [itex]n[/itex], then that means that [itex]f(z) \propto \frac{1}{z^n}[/itex] near [itex]z=0[/itex], which in turn means that [itex]z^n f(n)[/itex] remains finite as [itex]z \rightarrow 0[/itex]. So in the case of [itex]e^{\frac{1}{z}}[/itex], do you think there is some number [itex]n[/itex] that would work?

4. May 21, 2016 #3
    Im sorry I don't see how you concluded that [itex]f(z) \propto \frac{1}{z^n}[/itex] near [itex]z=0[/itex], since would the expansion for [itex]f(z) =1-\frac{1}{z}+\frac{1}{2!} \frac{1}{z^2}+...[/itex]

Thank you :)

5. May 21, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Steven didn't conclude it. He wrote If ... then ... !

6. May 21, 2016 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let me quote from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(mathematics)#Complex_analysis)

• The point a is a removable singularity of f if there exists a holomorphic function g defined on all of U such that f(z) = g(z) for all z in U \ {a}. The function g is a continuous replacement for the function f.
    • The point a is a pole or non-essential singularity of f if there exists a holomorphic function g defined on U with g(a) nonzero, and a natural number n such that f(z) = g(z) / (za)n for all z in U \ {a}. The number n here is called the order of the pole. The derivative at a non-essential singularity itself has a non-essential singularity, with n increased by 1 (except if n is 0 so that the singularities are removable).
    • The point a is an essential singularity of f if it is neither a removable singularity nor a pole. The point a is an essential singularity if and only if the Laurent series has infinitely many powers of negative degree.

7. May 21, 2016 #6
    Ah okay, so in this case we have an essential singularity?

Would I be okay in thinking that the Laurent series is [itex]f(z) =1-\frac{1}{z}+\frac{1}{2!} \frac{1}{z^2}+...[/itex] ? Or have I oversimplified the problem

Thank you :)

8. May 21, 2016 #7
    My mistake, I misinterpreted his response. Thank you for clarifying :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted