Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series of Sqrt(z)

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1

My mathematics professor said that it is possible to construct a Laurent series of sqrt(z) about zero by integrating over a keyhole contour and then taking the limit R --> 0 where R radius of the inner circle. But I think he is mistaken. I dont understand how it is possible to have a Laurent series about zero, as it is a branch point.

Can someone please clarify this point, and tell me what the series is if such a series exists.

Also, then is it possible to have a laurent series for any function about its branch point by considering a similar contour.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you're right; Laurent series converge on an annulus, and square root cannot be defined* on an annulus about the origin.

Square root can be expressed by a (rather boring) Puiseux series, but I'm not sure how well that works complex analytically.

*: I mean in a continuous way, of course.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?