1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent Series problem

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Laurent series for the function that converges at [itex]0 < \left|z-z_0\right| < R[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1}[/itex]
    [itex]z_0 = 1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think this is going to be a finite sum. I think it could be wrong, though, because it certainly differs with the answer in the book.

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{z-1}-\frac{4}{z-1}[/itex]

I tried to put the first part in terms of [itex]z-1[/itex]...

[itex]\frac{z^2}{z-1} = \frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} =[/itex]

[itex]\left( \frac{z-1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{z-1}\right)\left(\frac{z-1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{z-1}\right) [/itex]

[itex] = \left(1+\frac{1}{z-1}\right)\left(1+\frac{1}{z-1}\right) = 1+\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}[/itex]

I recombined with the last term...

[itex]1+\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}-\frac{4}{z-1} = 1-\frac{2}{z-1}+\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}[/itex]

This is the final answer that I get. However, the book says that it is

[itex]-\frac{3}{z-1}+2+(z-1)[/itex]

I am absolutely stumped and I've been racking my brain over it for hours.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You found the Laurent series at ##1##. I think they want you to find the Laurent series at ##0##.

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    They may have wanted me to find the Laurent series at 1. Sorry, I forgot to add to the problem...

[itex]z_0 = 1[/itex]

5. May 21, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so I'll take a closer look.

I see right away that this is not a correct thing to do:

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    I figured it was the algebra that was holding me back here. Is it because it creates a singularity at 1 or something? Why is this wrong? I do not see it.

7. May 21, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

[tex]\frac{z-1+1}{z-1}\frac{z-1+1}{z-1} = \frac{z}{z-1}\frac{z}{z-1} = \frac{z^2}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

This does not equal ##\frac{z^2}{z-1}##.

8. May 21, 2013 #7
    Holy crap, oh geeze. That's embarrassing. Thanks for pointing that out. Let me try this again.

9. May 21, 2013 #8
    Alright, well, realizing that that technique is wrong has completely erased the paths that I see to solving this problem. Any hints as to an appropriate next step to take? I've gone the method of splitting [itex]z^2-4[/itex] into [itex](z-2)(z+2)[/itex] but I do not know how to go from there.

10. May 21, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Try to write

[tex]\frac{z^2 - 4}{z-1} = \frac{(z-1)^2 + P(z)}{z-1}[/tex]

and try to find the polynomial ##P(z)##.

11. May 21, 2013 #10
    Oh, that's clever. Thanks for suggesting this method. This immediately gave me the path I needed to do.

[itex]\frac{z^2-4}{z-1} = \frac{\left(z-1\right)^2+P(z)}{z-1}=\frac{{(z-1)}^2+2z-5}{z-1} = \frac{{(z-1)}^2+2(z-1)-3}{z-1} = (z-1)+2-\frac{3}{z-1}[/itex] which is exactly what I was looking for. I will keep this technique in my toolbox. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

Oh, and it converges for all R > 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted