1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series

1. Apr 6, 2006 #1
    Just wondering where to go with this one..

calculate the laurent series of [tex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/tex]

don't even know where to start on it

I know [tex]e^z={{\sum^{\infty}}_{j=0}}\frac{z^j}{j!}[/tex]

but not much else...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first thing you need to do is figure out where you're taking the Laurent expansion about (presumably zero since that is what your expression for e^z is. Why not put that in to the expression and play around with it?

4. Apr 6, 2006 #3
    Well, I only assumed that I knew that the expansion of e^z was about 0. It only specifies "calculate the laurent expansion of [tex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/tex] for [tex]0 < |z| < 2\pi[/tex]"

5. Apr 6, 2006 #4
    I tried that but couldn't really come up with anything..

[tex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}=\frac{1}{(1+z+\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^3}{3!}+...)-1}=\frac{1}{z+\frac{z^2}{2!}+\frac{z^3}{3!}+...}=\frac{1}{z(1+\frac{z}{2!}+\frac{z^2}{3!}+...)}[/tex]

no idea where to go with this..

I can't see how I could turn the series into a useful series that converges to a algebraic expresion that I could actually rearrange to continue....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?