1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent Series

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been asked to state the precise nature of the singularities at z=2 and z=-1/3 in t6rtb6.png

2. Relevant equations

I know the laurent series is given by vymfz4.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to expand the series out into a laurent series around z=2 and z=-1/3 but I am really stuck on how to do this and would really appreciate a bit of help! From some examples I have seen I need to manipulate the denominator into a known series and then expand this but I am unsure of how to do that. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to expand anything. You just need to review the definition of a pole of order n.

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    I know I don't have to but I thought that a laurent expansion was another way to find out the nature of a singularity, like what the order of the pole was, and I just wanted to try and get a grasp of this technique as well and get the same answer for both techniques

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook