1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the laurent series expansion about he points specified, classify the singularity and sate the region of convergence for.

[itex]\frac{1}{z^2 - 1}[/itex] at (i) z=1 (ii) z=-1 (iii)z=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\frac{1}{z^2 - 1} = \frac{1}{2(z-1)} - \frac{1}{2(z+1)}[/itex]

i observe that f(z) is analytic in {z≠ -1,1} so is anyalytic in -1 < [itex]\left|z\right| < 1[/itex]

@z=1 [itex]\frac{-1}{2}\frac{1}{1-(-z)} = \frac{-1}{2}\sum (-z)^n[/itex]

similarly

@z=-1 [itex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{(z-1)} = \frac{-1}{2}\frac{1}{1-z)} = \frac{-1}{2}\sum (z)^n[/itex]

and

@z=0 is it just the sum of both of them? singularities are at 1, -1 and region of convergence -1 < [itex]\left|z\right| < 1[/itex]

am i anywhere near?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    No. When you expand around a point z0, then the series should be in powers of (z-z0). So for the first one, the first partial term is already in powers of z-1. However for the second term:

[tex]-1/2 \frac{1}{z+1}[/tex]

that's not. But you can do so by forcing a factor of z-1 in the denominaor by:

[tex]\frac{1}{z+1}=\frac{1}{z-1+2}=\frac{1}{2+z-1}|=\frac{1}{2(1+\frac{z-1}{2})}[/tex]

which you can then easily express that as a power series in terms of (z-1) right? Same dif with the other ones.

4. May 12, 2012 #3
    thanks a million jackmell

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook