1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent series

1. Jul 22, 2014 #1
    Hello.
    I need explanation about this Laurent series.

The question is:
    Let {##z\inℂ|0<|z|##}, expand ##\frac{e^{z^2}}{z^3}## where the centre z=0 into Laurent series.

And the solution is:
    $$\frac{e^{z^2}}{z^3}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{\frac{(z^2)^n}{n!}}{z^3}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^{2n-3}}{n!}$$

I don't understand the solution because isn't the formula for Laurent series
    $$f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n(z-z_0)^n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{b_n}{(z-z_0)^n}$$

where
    $$a_n=\frac{1}{2\pi{i}}\oint_{c}^{}\frac{f(z^*)}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}dz^*$$

$$b_n=\frac{1}{2\pi{i}}\oint_{c}^{}(z-z_0)^{n-1}f(z^*)dz^*$$

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2
    Why is this a laurent series? This looks like a maclaurin expansion of the exponential function.

4. Jul 22, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does a MacLaurin expansion have negative exponents?

5. Jul 22, 2014 #4
    No it doesn't but that definitely is a power series of the exponential function. Is Laurent series the same as power series? I am confused.

6. Jul 22, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just write out the first 3 or 4 terms of your series. Does that not look like a Laurent series to you?

7. Jul 22, 2014 #6
    Aha, now I see it. So, can I conclude that a Taylor/maclaurin series is a Laurent series with only positive exponents?

8. Jul 23, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course. But what does that have to do with this problem? This series has negative powers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted