Calculating Exercise: Get Expert Help Here!

• Thread starter Poriya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the professor is asking for the potential energy due to an electric field between two electrons, and the repulsive force between them.
Poriya
Homework Statement
"Calculate the finial velocity of two electrons that
start at a distance of 1 nm and have travelled
infinite distances. Use the law of conservation of
energy.
Try also to approximate the motion by
considering single small time steps within which
the force and hence the acceleration can be
considered constant."
Relevant Equations
PE = mgh
KE= 1/2 M v^2
Hello everybody is anyone here who knows how I can calculate this exercise?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the initial energy of the system? What is the final energy of the system?

You're equations have left out one of the most significant properties of the electron. It's the property I think of first for this particle.

Likes etotheipi
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Poriya said:
Relevant Equations:: PE = mgh
That equation is for the potential energy due to a gravitational field, but it sounds like this problem is for two electrons repelling each other in free space due to electrical forces, no? What equations can you list for potential energy due to an electric field? What is the repulsive force between two electrons, based on their separation distance?

Likes Poriya and etotheipi
etotheipi said:
What is the initial energy of the system? What is the final energy of the system?
Is not given

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That equation is for the potential energy due to a gravitational field, but it sounds like this problem is for two electrons repelling each other in free space due to electrical forces, no? What equations can you list for potential energy due to an electric field? What is the repulsive force between two electrons, based on their separation distance?
My problem is that I can't follow what my professor is asking for? I think there are some Information missing...

Poriya said:
My problem is that I can't follow what my professor is asking for? I think there are some Information missing...

You hold the two electrons close to each other, then let go and they accelerate away from each other. You can equate the total energy of the system at the start to that when they are separated at infinity with unknown kinetic energy.

Granted, you do need to know the potential energy of a system of two charges. Have you come across this?

etotheipi said:
You hold the two electrons close to each other, then let go and they accelerate away from each other. You can equate the total energy of the system at the start to that when they are separated at infinity with unknown kinetic energy.

Granted, you do need to know the potential energy of a system of two charges. Have you come across this?
Do I need to know the acceleration and plug it into the equation or is that not necessary to solve the question?

Poriya said:
Do I need to know the acceleration and plug it into the equation or is that not necessary to solve the question?
No, don't consider acceleration. Just try to answer the questions @etotheipi asked in post #2. There is enough information to answer these.
What two forms of energy are involved here? What is the initial value of each? What is the final value of each? What equation can you write?
One of these four energies will involve the unknown you are asked to find.

haruspex said:
No, don't consider acceleration. Just try to answer the questions @etotheipi asked in post #2. There is enough information to answer these.
What two forms of energy are involved here? What is the initial value of each? What is the final value of each? What equation can you write?
One of these four energies will involve the unknown you are asked to find.
I will try thanks

1. How do I calculate my target heart rate for exercise?

To calculate your target heart rate for exercise, subtract your age from 220 and then multiply that number by 0.6 and 0.8. This will give you a range of heart rates to aim for during your workout.

2. What is the best type of exercise for weight loss?

The best type of exercise for weight loss is a combination of aerobic exercise and strength training. Aerobic exercise helps burn calories and improve cardiovascular health, while strength training helps build muscle and increase metabolism.

3. How often should I exercise?

It is recommended to exercise at least 150 minutes per week, which can be broken down into 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise 5 days a week. However, the frequency and duration of exercise can vary based on individual fitness goals and abilities.

4. How can I track my progress during exercise?

There are many ways to track progress during exercise, such as keeping a workout journal, using a fitness tracker, or measuring changes in body composition. It is important to track progress to stay motivated and make necessary adjustments to your exercise routine.

5. Can I exercise if I have a health condition?

It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting an exercise routine if you have a health condition. They can provide personalized recommendations and modifications to ensure safe and effective exercise for your specific condition.