Law of conservation of energy

In summary, the particle is in free fall from point A to point B, with an initial velocity of zero at point A. The law of conservation of energy can be defined by the fact that the chosen coordinate system has the y-coordinate of point A as zero. The energy of point A is zero due to its potential energy being zero and its velocity being zero. Similarly, the energy of point B is also zero due to its potential energy being -mgy and its kinetic energy being mv^2/2, which are equal. The choice of zero for energy is arbitrary and does not affect the conservation of energy, as seen by the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy during the free fall.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Particle goes to free fall from point ##A## to point ##B##. ##\upsilon_{A}=0##. How to define law of conservation of energy. Coordinate system is selected in such way that ##y## coordinate od point ##A## is zero. (See figure energy)

Homework Equations

For free fall ##\upsilon_{B}=\sqrt{2gy}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with formulation of law of conservation of energy. Energy of point ##A## is in this case ##0##? Right? Because potential energy is zero (##y## cordinate of point ##A## is zero) and in case of free fall ##\upsilon_{A}=0##.
And energy of point ##B## is also zero ##-mgy+m\frac{\upsilon^2}{2}=0##.
Am I right? I'm confused how the energy of the particle could be zero? Can you help me? Give me some other view?

Attachments

• energy.JPG
    energy.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
I'm confused how the energy of the particle could be zero? Can you help me? Give me some other view?
What you take to be the zero of energy is arbitrary. At point B, the particle as ##-mgy < 0## potential energy (it has lost some potential energy) and ##mv^2/2 > 0## of kinetic energy (it has gained kinetic energy). (Note: I take it that the y-axis is pointing downwards.)

If you choose point B to be the zero of potential energy, then at point A, you have ##-mgy + 0 > 0## (since ##y < 0##) and at point B ##0 + mv^2/2##, with ##mv^2/2 = -mgy##, which is exactly the same as before.

In both cases, you see potential energy converted into kinetic energy.

What is the Law of Conservation of Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

What are the different forms of energy?

There are many different forms of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy, electromagnetic energy, and nuclear energy. These forms can be converted into one another through various processes.

Why is the Law of Conservation of Energy important?

The Law of Conservation of Energy is important because it helps us understand and predict how energy behaves in different systems. It also has many practical applications, such as in the design of efficient energy systems and understanding natural phenomena.

Does the Law of Conservation of Energy apply to all systems?

Yes, the Law of Conservation of Energy applies to all systems, including microscopic particles, large-scale systems like planets and galaxies, and everything in between. As long as the system is isolated and there are no external forces acting on it, the total energy within the system will remain constant.

Can the Law of Conservation of Energy be violated?

No, the Law of Conservation of Energy is a fundamental principle of physics and has been extensively tested and observed in various experiments. While energy can be transformed from one form to another, it can never be created or destroyed, making it a universal law that cannot be violated.