Solving for Guy Wires using the Law of Cosines - 100ft Tower on a Hill

• Thread starter gabrielh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the 100-foot vertical tower will be erected on the side of a hill that makes a 6^{\circ} angle with the horizontal. Two guy wires will be anchored 65 feet uphill and 65 feet downhill from the base of the tower.
gabrielh

Homework Statement

A 100-foot vertical tower is to be erected on the side of a hill that makes a 6[tex]^{\circ}[/tex] angle with the horizontal. Find the length of each of the two guy wires that will be anchored 65 feet uphill and downhill from the base of the tower.

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines

a[tex]^{2}[/tex] = b[tex]^{2}[/tex] + c[tex]^{2}[/tex] - (2bc)cos(a)
b[tex]^{2}[/tex] = a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + c[tex]^{2}[/tex] - (2ac)cos(b)
c[tex]^{2}[/tex] = a[tex]^{2}[/tex] + b[tex]^{2}[/tex] - (2ab)cos(c)

I included an sketched version of the image that was provided with this problem. Please forgive the sub par drawing skills.

The Attempt at a Solution

With a bit of help getting started and finding a couple of the unknown angles, I should be able to work this problem easily. I understand law of cosines quite well, I'm just unsure of the best way to begin this problem.

Attachments

• trigproblem1.jpg
    trigproblem1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... You could try splitting your building in half and creating two triangles.

Is it safe to assume the building is perpendicular to the plane?

jegues said:
Hmmm... You could try splitting your building in half and creating two triangles.

Is it safe to assume the building is perpendicular to the plane?

I'm not sure. That image and the problem statement is all I've been given.

Well in the image, is the building going striaght up vertically? Or is it tilted a bit, vertical to the plane?

jegues said:
Well in the image, is the building going striaght up vertically? Or is it tilted a bit, vertical to the plane?

Straight up vertically I believe would be safe to assume.

Well if the plane on which the structure stood was flat, then we could say that the angle in each triangle is simply 90, but since the plane is elevated by 6 degrees we can see that first triangle is going to take the 6 degree elevation and the second triangle will lose 6 degrees.

That should be enough to apply law of cosine or even use sine law to solve everything.

EDIT: That's just my thought process, I'd like someone to confrim my thoughts ;)

Yes that's how you'll find the angles between the tower and the cliff sloping up and down. But this is a cosine law problem, using the sine law will be quite more difficult and unnecessary since you'll have to find another angle in each triangle.

this is a cosine law problem, using the sine law will be quite more difficult and unnecessary since you'll have to find another angle in each triangle.

I agree the cosine law would be the better route to take in solving this problem.

Thanks for the help :)

What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical formula used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle when given enough information. It is an extension of the Pythagorean Theorem and can be used in any type of triangle, not just right triangles.

When should the Law of Cosines be used?

The Law of Cosines should be used when given three sides or two sides and the included angle of a triangle. It can also be used when given two angles and a side opposite one of the angles. This allows for the calculation of missing sides or angles in oblique triangles.

How do you use the Law of Cosines to solve a problem?

To use the Law of Cosines, plug in the given values into the formula: c² = a² + b² – 2ab cos(C). Then, solve for the missing side or angle by using basic algebraic principles. Make sure to use the correct units for your calculations.

What are the limitations of the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines cannot be used to solve for all missing sides and angles in a triangle. It can only be used when given three sides or two sides and the included angle, or two angles and a side opposite one of the angles. Additionally, the Law of Cosines is only applicable to triangles, and cannot be used for other shapes.

How is the Law of Cosines related to the Law of Sines?

The Law of Cosines and the Law of Sines are two different trigonometric formulas used to solve for missing sides and angles in a triangle. The Law of Cosines is used for oblique triangles, while the Law of Sines is used for right triangles. However, the two laws are related in that they both involve the use of trigonometric ratios and can be used together to solve more complex problems involving triangles.