Solving a Law of Cosines Problem: Finding the Length of a Side

• Thread starter themadhatter1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation involved a problem that required the use of the Law of Cosines. The individual attempted to solve it by finding the value of d using the formula, but was unsure of how to proceed. The conversation then provided two hints, one about the angles of a parallelogram and the other about the sum of angles in a parallelogram, which helped the individual to solve the problem more easily.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1046/mathproblemp.jpg

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure what to do for this problem, it looks easy but I can't figure it out. I tried # 11 and was able to find d.

d2=a2+b2-2(a)(b)cos(30)
d=3.23

However, I don't know where to go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints:

1. What do you know about the angles of the opposite corners of a parallelogram?
2. What do you know about the sum of the angles of a parallelogram?

Ahh... thanks, I didn't know the basic properties of parallelograms. Now this problem is much easier.

1. What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical formula that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. It is used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle, given the other sides and angles.

2. How do you use the Law of Cosines?

To use the Law of Cosines, you need to know at least three of the following: the lengths of the three sides of a triangle, the measure of one angle and the lengths of two sides, or the measure of two angles and the length of one side. Then, you can plug these values into the formula and solve for the missing side or angle.

3. What is the formula for the Law of Cosines?

The formula for the Law of Cosines is c² = a² + b² - 2ab cos(C), where c is the length of the unknown side, a and b are the lengths of the other two sides, and C is the measure of the angle opposite the unknown side.

4. When do you use the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is used when solving for missing sides or angles in a triangle that is not a right triangle. It is also used when solving for the distance between two points on a coordinate plane.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is used in various fields, such as astronomy, navigation, and engineering. It can be used to calculate distances between objects in space, determine the position of a ship or plane, or design structures such as bridges or buildings.