Proving the Law of Cosines: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter huntingrdr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, to prove the law of cosines, we introduce a coordinate system and express the coordinates in terms of the lengths of the sides and angle theta. Using the distance formula, we can find the length of side c, which is equal to sqrt((x-a)^2 + (y)^2). To continue the proof, we can set up a right triangle inside the larger triangle and use trigonometric functions to express the x and y coordinates in terms of the lengths of the sides and theta. This will ultimately lead to the equation c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab*cos(theta), proving the law of cosines.
huntingrdr

Homework Statement

Prove the law of cosines: If a triangle has sides with lengths a, b, and c, and theta is the angle between the sides a and b, then c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab*cos(theta).

Hint: Introduce a coordinate system so that theta is in standard position. Express x and y in terms of theta and then use the distance formula to compute c.

Someone please help me on this. Not sure what is means? Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know really where to begin or what is means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a triangle (not a right triangle) in a coordinate system, with sides a and b meeting at the origin. Angle theta is the angle between sides a and b. Find an expression that represents the length of side c.

I drew the triangle and c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos(theta). How do I represent x & y in terms of theta and use the distance formula to compute c? x & y are the axis and the point P on the triangle is (x,y).

huntingrdr said:
I drew the triangle and c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos(theta).
What do you mean? This is what you're supposed to show.
huntingrdr said:
How do I represent x & y in terms of theta and use the distance formula to compute c? x & y are the axis and the point P on the triangle is (x,y).
Sides a and b meet at the origin, and side b is along the x-axis. What are the coordinates for the other end of side a? What are the coordinates for the other end of side b? Use the distance formula to find the length of side c.

Mark44 said:
What do you mean? This is what you're supposed to show.
Sides a and b meet at the origin, and side b is along the x-axis. What are the coordinates for the other end of side a? What are the coordinates for the other end of side b? Use the distance formula to find the length of side c.

The coordinates for the other end of b are (x,y) and the coordinates for the other end of a are (a,0). When I used the distance formula I gt c = sqrt((x-a)^2 + (y)^2). Is this right? How am I suppose to PROVE the law of cosines now?

Forget x and y. Get the coordinates in terms of the lengths of the sides. In your drawing, side a is apparently along the x-axis and side b extends out at an angle theta from the origin. From the endpoint of side b, drop a line segment directly down to the x-axis. Now you have a right triangle inside the larger triangle. What is the x-coordinate at the end of side b? You should be able to write it in terms of b and a trig function involving theta. What is the y-coordinate at the end of side b? You should be able to write it in terms of b and a trig function involving theta.

1. What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a trigonometric formula used to find the lengths of sides or angles in a triangle. It states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, minus twice the product of those sides and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. Why is it important to prove the Law of Cosines?

Proving the Law of Cosines is important because it provides a mathematical justification for using the formula. It also helps to deepen our understanding of trigonometry and its applications.

3. What are the steps to prove the Law of Cosines?

The steps to prove the Law of Cosines are as follows:

1. Draw a triangle and label the sides and angles.
  2. Apply the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of one side in terms of the other two sides.
  3. Use the Law of Cosines to express the square of the other two sides in terms of the angle between them.
  4. Simplify the equation by expanding and rearranging terms.
  5. Apply the Cosine Sum and Difference Identities to simplify the equation further.
  6. Finally, the equation should reduce to the original statement of the Law of Cosines, proving its validity.

4. What are the real-life applications of the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines has many real-life applications, including:

• Navigation and surveying: used to find distances and angles between landmarks.
  • Astronomy: used to calculate the positions of stars and planets.
  • Engineering: used to design structures and determine forces acting on them.
  • Physics: used to analyze the motion of objects in two or three dimensions.

5. Are there any alternative ways to prove the Law of Cosines?

Yes, there are alternative ways to prove the Law of Cosines, including:

• Using the Law of Sines and the Pythagorean Theorem.
  • Using complex numbers and the Euler's formula.
  • Using vector algebra.