Law of gravitation and net gravitational force

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the law of gravitation to a specific scenario involving four spheres of different masses. It highlights the need to add the forces as vectors and find their components in order to get the correct answer. The conversation also touches on unit vector notation and the importance of considering direction and angle when calculating the net gravitational force.
jperk980
[SOLVED] Law of gravitation

In Figure 13-34, a square of edge length 15.0 cm is formed by four spheres of masses m1 = 5.00 g, m2 = 4.00 g, m3 = 1.50 g, and m4 = 5.00 g. In unit-vector notation, what is the net gravitational force from them on a central sphere with mass m5 = 2.10 g?

I know that since the mass of 1 and 4 are equal they cancel out and i know that the radius is .075*Square root(2). which gives me .106m. I use the equation Gm2m5/r25^2+Gm3m5/r35^2 and i get the answer 6.85e-14 which is not the right answer. I know that the masses are .004, .0015, and .0021 since they are in grams. Can some one help me

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) You didn't provide the figure, but I assume that m1 and m4 are at adjacent corners not opposite corners. So they don't cancel out.
(2) The forces are vectors and must be added as such. Direction counts!

sorry Doc Al M1 and M$ are on opposite corners here is the picture given

Attachments

• 13-34.gif
    13-34.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 444
OK. Realize that the forces due to m2 and m3 point in opposite directions.

that should mean i should subtract their forces but i tried that and that did not work i got a value of 3.11e-14 which is also incorrect

I get the same answer. But that's the magnitude of the force. They asked for the force in unit vector notation, which means they want x and y components.

But how would i do that I know how to go from unit vector notation but i do not understand how to do the opposite

Just find the x and y components of the net force. What direction is that force? What angle does it make with the x-axis?

It is moving towards mass 2 and the angle should be 45

jperk980 said:
It is moving towards mass 2 and the angle should be 45
Right. So what are the x and y components of a vector at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal?

so i set up the sin 45=o/h and solve so i get hsin 45=0 and i get 2.64e-14 but that is not the correct answer. i do the same thing with cos and get 1.63e-14. where should i go from here

If a force F makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis, its components are:

[tex]F_x = F \cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]F_y = F \sin \theta[/tex]

Isn't that what i did, i just wrote it in different terms

jperk980 said:
Isn't that what i did, i just wrote it in different terms
How did you get different answers? ([itex]\sin 45 = \cos 45[/itex].)

ooo i am in radian mode

Thank you Doc Al for your help

1. What is the Law of Gravitation?

The Law of Gravitation, also known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the Law of Gravitation explain the motion of planets?

The Law of Gravitation explains the motion of planets by stating that the force of gravity between two objects is responsible for the motion of one object around the other. In the case of planets, the sun's gravitational pull keeps them in orbit around it.

3. What is net gravitational force?

Net gravitational force is the sum of all the gravitational forces acting on an object from multiple sources. It is the combined force that determines the motion of an object due to gravity.

4. How is net gravitational force calculated?

Net gravitational force can be calculated by using the Law of Gravitation formula: F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the net gravitational force, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

5. Does the Law of Gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Law of Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or mass. However, the force of gravity may be negligible for objects with very small masses, such as atoms.