Ideal Gas Law: Finding dP/dT, dT/dV & dV/dP

In summary, the conversation is about finding the result when the differentials dP/dT, dT/dV, and dV/dP are multiplied together for an ideal gas. The result is -1, which is true for any three variables related by a differentiable function. There is no specific meaning for an ideal gas, but it suggests that the relationship between pressure and volume can be computed along an isotherm by looking at how temperature and pressure relate along an isochore and how temperature and volume relate along an isobar. Additional information on this topic can be found on Wikipedia.
Niles

Homework Statement

The law for an ideal gas is given by P = n*R*T/V. In our case, n and R are constant, so P = f(V,T).

I have found dP/dT, dT/dV and dV/dP. I have to find the result when these three differentials are multiplied with each other.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get -1 - can you guys confirm this? And what does this mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. This is true for any three variables related by a differentiable function.

I see.. does it have any specific meaning for an ideal gas?

I have searched Wikipedia - I haven't found anything. Can you help?

I cannot think of any meaning that goes beyond the literal interpretation of the operations.

e.g. it suggests that, at least on tiny scales, you can compute the relationship between P and V along an isotherm by instead looking at how T and P relate along an isochore and how T and V relate along an isobar.

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. How do you find dP/dT using the Ideal Gas Law?

To find dP/dT, you can rearrange the Ideal Gas Law equation to dP/dT = nR/V. This means that the change in pressure (dP) over the change in temperature (dT) is equal to the number of moles of gas (n) multiplied by the gas constant (R) divided by the volume (V).

3. How do you find dT/dV using the Ideal Gas Law?

To find dT/dV, you can rearrange the Ideal Gas Law equation to dT/dV = P/nR. This means that the change in temperature (dT) over the change in volume (dV) is equal to the pressure (P) divided by the number of moles of gas (n) multiplied by the gas constant (R).

4. How do you find dV/dP using the Ideal Gas Law?

To find dV/dP, you can rearrange the Ideal Gas Law equation to dV/dP = nRT/P. This means that the change in volume (dV) over the change in pressure (dP) is equal to the number of moles of gas (n) multiplied by the gas constant (R) multiplied by the temperature (T) divided by the pressure (P).

5. What are the units for dP/dT, dT/dV, and dV/dP?

The units for dP/dT are pressure per temperature, such as kPa/K or atm/K. The units for dT/dV are temperature per volume, such as K/m^3 or °C/L. The units for dV/dP are volume per pressure, such as m^3/kPa or L/atm.