Law of motion and rope tension

In summary, the Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, and that the force applied on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This law also applies to the tension in a rope, which increases as the force applied to the rope increases. As the rope is pulled taut, the tension becomes equal to the force being applied, allowing objects to be moved or lifted. This law is fundamental in understanding the movement of objects and is crucial in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.
kring_c14

Homework Statement

13) [20 points] Blocks A, B, and C are placed as in the figure and connected by ropes of
negligible mass. both “A” and “B” weigh 25.0 N each, the ramp-angle q = 36.9 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and surface is 0.35. Block C descends with constant velocity.

b) Find the tension in the rope connecting blocks A and B.
c) What is the weight of block C?
d) If the rope connecting A and B were cut, what would be the acceleration of C?

for the figure pls see the attachment.

what I've worked out so far

the tension of A= 8.75 and the tension B= 8.66
how do i know which one is the answer for b.)

for the weight of block C i have no idea what to do..pls help...

Attachments

• sa.jpg
    sa.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 972
Physics news on Phys.org
by the way, how do you insert pictures without having to use attachment?/

Use [ /img] tags (without the space) if you've uploaded to an image sharing website, or just link to the site.

pls. help me with this one...pls. pls. pls..

http://www.imagevimage.com/gallery.php?entry=images/sa.jpg

[url=http://www.imagevimage.com/gallery.php?entry=images/sa.jpg][PLAIN]http://www.imagevimage.com/thumbs/sa.jpg[/url][/PLAIN]

thanks a lot

8.75N looks right to me for part b)... how are you getting the 8.66N?

EDIT: you didn't post part a)

Last edited:
part a was all about drawing free body diagram... i thought i'll work it out by myself..

for 8.66
what i did is dis

i treat the objects separately
for tension A i got 8.75

for B:
[tex]\sum FxB[/tex] => Tcos36.9-fB=0
Tcos36.9= fB=[tex]\mu nB[/tex]

[tex]\sum FyB[/tex] => Tsin36.9+nB-w=0
nB=w-Tsin36.9

solving the two eqn

T=[tex]\mu nB[/tex]/cos36.9+[tex]\mu sin36.9[/tex]

Part b) asks for the tension in the rope between A and B... that's 8.75N...

For the 8.66, you were using the rope between B and C right? So that wouldn't be what they want for part b... Though you do need this tension for the next parts... but 8.66 is the wrong value for the tension in this rope.

You chose your axes as x horizontal, y vertical... but the friction acts along the incline (not in the x - direction) And also, the normal force is not in the y direction...

Also, B has two tensions... the rope connecting to C, and the rope connecting to A, so you need to consider both forces in your freebody diagram.

I recommend choosing your axes differently to deal with the free body diagram of block B... take the x-axis along the incline... take the y-axis perpendicular to the incline... it'll make things easier...

im not sure if this is what you mean
T1 is the tension bet. rope A and B
T2 is bet B and C

im not really good at analyzing stuff

[url=http://www.imagevimage.com/][PLAIN]http://www.imagevimage.com/images/1_sa.jpg[/url][/PLAIN]

Yes, that's exactly what I mean...

Only thing is that the tension between A and B acting on B ie: T1... should also be along the x-axis... you only need to think about the rope beyond the pulley, right next to B...

the rope beyond the pulley? you mean the one in which block C is hanging?
so t1 and t2 should be both in the x axis..ahhhh get it! thanks

kring_c14 said:
the rope beyond the pulley? you mean the one in which block C is hanging?
so t1 and t2 should be both in the x axis..ahhhh get it! thanks

Yeah, I mean the parts of the ropes attached to B... they are both along the x-axis.

how do i get the weight of C?

how bout the acceleration?/ my nosebleeds just staring at this problem...is it hard or am i justdumb...

You're not dumb at all... you're almost there... you made a small mistake:

T2 = T1 +wsin36.9 +[tex]{\mu}N_b[/tex]

That'll give you T2...

Then using the freebody diagram of C, you can get the weight of C...

Last edited:
wow thanks for lifting up my morale
I get cheesy when I feel sleepy...lol..and thanks again for helping me with this problem..

kring_c14 said:
wow thanks for lifting up my morale
I get cheesy when I feel sleepy...lol..and thanks again for helping me with this problem..

lol. no prob.

kring_c14 said:
how bout the acceleration?/ my nosebleeds just staring at this problem...is it hard or am i justdumb...

You are not dumb. Never think like that. Now remenber one thing that while solving problem regarding Newtons laws of motion. The main thing is forming equations. Consider all sorts of forces which take part and relate them.Bingo! You get the answer

same question .. how can we get the weight of C?

hi truthlies217! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

mmm there are 3 forces applied on C all of them on Y axis .. F + n - mg = 0.0
we need mg so mg=F+n
where F = (FA+FB) >> I think not sure !
C must be heavier than 50 N to be able to pull the other two blocks ( my logical thinking ><) that's all what i got ><

truthlies217 said:
mmm there are 3 forces applied on C all of them on Y axis .. F + n - mg = 0.0

no, there are only two forces on C … mg and T (the tension)

there is no N: N signifies a normal reaction force, and a https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=73" needs two surfaces in contact, but C isn't in contact with any other surface

call the other tension T2, and do three https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=26" equations (F = ma), one for each block …

what do you get? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Law of Motion?

The Law of Motion, also known as Newton's Laws of Motion, is a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still widely used in modern physics.

2. What is the First Law of Motion?

The First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will not change its state of motion unless a force is applied to it.

3. What is the Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more mass an object has, the less it will accelerate.

4. How does the Law of Motion relate to rope tension?

The Law of Motion can be applied to rope tension by understanding that the tension in a rope is the result of forces acting in opposite directions. These forces, known as tension forces, are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, according to the Third Law of Motion. This means that the tension in a rope is directly related to the forces acting on it.

5. How does rope tension affect objects in motion?

Rope tension can affect objects in motion by either accelerating or decelerating them, depending on the direction of the applied force. For example, if a rope is attached to a moving object and pulled in the opposite direction, the tension force will slow down the object's motion. On the other hand, if the rope is pulled in the same direction as the object's motion, the tension force will accelerate the object.