1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of Multiple Proportions

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Problem goes as follows:

Palladium forms three different compounds with sulfur. The mass of sulfur per gram of palladium in each compound is listed below:

Compound Grams S per Gram Pd
    A 0.603
    B 0.301
    C 0.151

Show that these masses are consistent with the law of multiple proportions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel as though this is a trick question: when I venture to find the ratio between C and B I come up with 2; but, when I multiple 3 by .151, I don't come out with .603. As I type this I am beginning to feel that I don't quite understand the ratio. Could some explain to me if this problem follows the Law of Multiple proportion; and, if so, how? And also, why doesn't multiplying .151 by 3 yield .603? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Notice how each of the three ratios of S to Pd is different. A is two times B, and B is two times C.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Because it yields 0.453?

Seriously: law of multiple proportions says that ratios are small integers, it doesn't say they have to be consecutive.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    Thank you both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook