Law of physics for beam sizes

In summary: The beam span requirement would have to be greater for a given beam depth if the load is a point load as opposed to a uniform load.
rodsika
Supposed in builiding contruction, the beam span is 12 meters compared to 6 meters. Would it make the beam size (and column size) twice in the longer 12 meters span given the same loading? Is there a law of physics that says the sizes are proportional to the span? Or is it algorithmic or nonlinear?

Don't worry. I'm not going to construct the builiding myself, of course. Just wondering how the beam depth would increase if the span requirement is greater. If you have any formula to give an idea what is the relationship, do let me know.. thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The load type will make a difference, point load vs uniform loads. The beam depth but more specificly the section modulus and moments of inertia determine the strength and stiffness of the beam, and of course the material strength.

P = point load
L = Span Length
W = uniform load (kip/ft or kN/m)

Moment from point load = P*L / 4 assuming (simple supports)
Moment from uniform load = W L2 / 8 assuming (simple supports)

As you can see for uniform loads (most typical) the length term is squared.

b = beam width
h = beam height
I = moment of inertia (rectangluar beam = b*h3 / 12)
For simplicty (and normally only in simple timber construction we assumed a rectangular shape) you see the height of the beam is a cubed term hence it is very significant.
We would in steel normally use a roughly "I" shaped beam because it efficently provides big moments of inertia by concentraiting the larger areas at the higher stressed locations. The web is then assumed to only carry shears.

y = half of beam height for this case.
σ(stress) = M *y / I = M/S

It is always necessary to account for the selfweight of the beam and other supporting elements in addition to any supported live, dead or environmental loads.

1. What is the law of physics for beam sizes?

The law of physics for beam sizes is a fundamental principle that governs the size and shape of a beam of light or particles as it travels through a medium. It is based on the principles of wave optics and quantum mechanics, and is essential for understanding various phenomena such as diffraction, refraction, and scattering.

2. How does the law of physics for beam sizes affect the performance of optical devices?

The law of physics for beam sizes plays a crucial role in the design and functioning of optical devices such as microscopes, telescopes, and lasers. It determines the resolution, focal length, and other important parameters that affect the performance of these devices.

3. Can the law of physics for beam sizes be applied to all types of beams?

Yes, the law of physics for beam sizes can be applied to all types of beams, including light, sound, and particles such as electrons and protons. It is a universal law that governs the behavior of waves and particles in various mediums.

4. How is the law of physics for beam sizes related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The law of physics for beam sizes and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle are closely related. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. This principle is a consequence of the law of physics for beam sizes, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the law of physics for beam sizes?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the law of physics for beam sizes. It is used in the design and development of various optical devices, as well as in the fields of astronomy, microscopy, and particle physics. It also has practical applications in areas such as laser technology, telecommunications, and medical imaging.