Law of quantity of heat = mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a question in thermochemistry about the law of quantity of heat, with a specific focus on the units used for mass and heat quantity. The conversation also includes a calculation for the liberated heat in an experiment involving a diluted base and acid. However, there is confusion over the correct answer as the book lists a different value.
ph_lover3294
hi for u all

i want to ask a question in a thermochemistry about the law of

quantity of heat = mass . specefic heat . change in temp

firstly . i want to know the units of (mass ) and (heat quantity) in this law
(gm , ml , liter)...(joules,kj)
Q: on adding 50 ml of diluted base on 50 ml of diluted acid in isolated cal. the temp. of the solution rises from 18.2 to 21.3 degree
calculate the liberated heat

thanks ...i wish u answer me quickly ...

bye

Physics news on Phys.org

ph_lover3294 said:
i want to know the units of (mass ) and (heat quantity) in this law (gm , ml , liter)...(joules,kj)

ml and liter are not units of mass, but units of volume.

Exact units used don't matter. You need to use units of mass, units of temperature and specific heat that is expressed using these units and units of energy that you want your answer to be in.

Last edited:

thank u for your answer

but i want to know the answer of the above question
please

i answered it ...

liberated heat=100 x 4.18 x (21.3-18.2)=1295.8 j =1.2958 kj
but the answer of the book was ..1295.8 kj
so i don't know the right answer

thanks

Last edited:

123 cBTU.

i m sorry ..i didn't understand your answer ..

You have edited your post while I was composing mine, I have not seen your answer.

1298 Joules or 1.298 kJ it is (assuming data you have listed is correct). 1298 kJ is wrong.

What is the law of quantity of heat?

The law of quantity of heat states that the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount is directly proportional to the mass of the substance.

How does the law of quantity of heat apply to specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of the substance by 1 degree Celsius. According to the law of quantity of heat, the specific heat capacity is directly proportional to the mass of the substance.

What is the formula for calculating the amount of heat using the law of quantity of heat?

The formula for calculating the amount of heat using the law of quantity of heat is Q = m * c * ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How does the law of quantity of heat apply to heat transfer?

The law of quantity of heat also applies to heat transfer. The amount of heat transferred between two objects is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and the temperature difference between them.

What are some real-life examples of the law of quantity of heat?

Some real-life examples of the law of quantity of heat include heating water on a stove, using a hot water bottle to warm up a bed, and using an ice pack to cool down a bruise. In all of these cases, the amount of heat transferred is directly proportional to the mass of the substance being heated or cooled.