Law of Sines: Solving Triangles with Ambiguous Cases

In summary, when given \alpha=48^\circ, a=36, and c=47, we can use the law of sines to solve for angle \gamma and find that it has two possible values, 75.98^\circ or 104.02^\circ. We can then use this information to calculate the second triangle and find the remaining angles and sides.
Stevo6754

Homework Statement

Solve the following triangle. Round the answers to two decimal places.
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=48[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], a=36, c=47

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was to solve for [tex]\gamma[/tex], thus sin([tex]\gamma[/tex])=[tex](47sin(48^{\circ}))/36[/tex] then I took the inverse sin of that answer in order to receive [tex]\gamma[/tex]=75.98[tex]^{\circ}[/tex]. From here I went ahead and solved for angle [tex]\beta[/tex] by 180-(75.98+48) = 56.02, thus [tex]\beta[/tex]=56.02[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], I now solved for side B by B=[tex](36sin(56.02^{\circ})/sin(48^{\circ})[/tex] thus I get side B=40.17

Now I have solved the originally triangle, but according to law of sines, if A<B then two triangles could be involved, for two triangles to be involved H<A<B must be met, with H being height, thus height is solved for by H=Bsin([tex]\alpha[/tex]) which turns out to be 29.85. So H < A < B is true, thus I have two triangles.

This is where it gets messy and I am quite unsure.

I find side a[tex]^{1}[/tex] by using law of sines, since both have the same side B and the same angle measure [tex]\alpha[/tex] I did sin([tex]\alpha[/tex])=[tex]a^{1}/b[/tex] and sin([tex]\alpha[/tex])=[tex]a/b[/tex] thus we can set both equal to b and get a=a[tex]^{1}[/tex]. So a[tex]^{1}[/tex]=36. Now we see it is an isosceles triangle thus we can get angle [tex]\beta^{1}[/tex]=123.98[tex]^{\circ}[/tex] and can finally solve [tex]\gamma^{1}[/tex] by doing 180-(123.98+48)=8.02, so [tex]\gamma^{1}[/tex]=8.02[tex]^{\circ}[/tex]

My final answers for the sides not given are [tex]\gamma[/tex]=75.98[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], [tex]\beta[/tex]=56.02[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], b=40.17, [tex]\gamma^{1}[/tex]=8.02[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], [tex]\beta^{1}[/tex]=123.98[tex]^{\circ}[/tex].

But according to my teachers answers this is wrong!
She has [tex]\beta[/tex]=56.02[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], [tex]\gamma[/tex]=75.98[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], b=40.17, [tex]\gamma^{1}[/tex]=104.02[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], [tex]\beta^{1}[/tex]=27.98[tex]^{\circ}[/tex], b[tex]^{1}[/tex]=22.73

I don't see how this is possible, I tried different scenarios and the original triangle would have to be within the second triangle in order to get that gamma, and other values for the second triangle. Isn't side C always going to be on the bottom, A on the right, B on the left? Also, will the second triangle always be inside the first triangle? From my understanding you have to be given sides a and b in order for it to be ambiguous, so I switched c=47 to b=47 and I get her answers. Is she wrong, or can someone explain how she got that answer? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
From my understanding you have to be given sides a and b in order for it to be ambiguous, so I switched c=47 to b=47
How are you labeling the triangle? I would think that angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] would be opposite side a, [itex]\beta[/itex] opposite side b, and [itex]\gamma[/itex] opposite side c. Given that, b and c are both adjacent to angle [itex]\alpha[/itex]. There is absolutely no difference switching c to b and vice-versa.

Do this: draw a line segment of length 47 representing side c. At one end of it, put angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] of [itex]48^\circ[/itex]. The other side of that angle is side b and we don't know its length so just extend it as far as you can. Set a pair of compasses to width 36, representing a. At the other end of c, strike an arc of length 36.

Three things might happen: (i) the arc might not reach the opposite line. (ii) the arc might cut the opposite line in two points (ambiguous case). (iii) the arc might be tangent to the opposite side, forming a right triangle.

[itex]\alpha= 48^\circ[/itex], a= 36, c= 47. By the law of sines, [itex]sin(48)/36= sin(\gamma)/47[/itex] so [itex] sin(\gamma)= (47 sin(48))/36= 0.97021[/itex]. And then [itex]\gamma= arcsin(0.97021)[/itex] which has two possible values: [itex]\gamma= 75.98^\circ[/itex] or [itex]\gamma= 180- 75.98= 104.02^\circ[/itex]. It looks like your teacher is right!

Ahh I see now, I didn't understand where the line would be split, but it obviously splits the side that is not determined, so the angles for the side that is not determines will always have two possible values? Thus we can calculate the second possible value which would be for the second angle? (assuming that we already confirmed it's an ambiguous case)

1. What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a mathematical equation used to solve triangles in trigonometry. It states that for any triangle, the ratio of the length of a side to the sine of its opposite angle is the same for all three angles. This can be expressed as a/sin(A) = b/sin(B) = c/sin(C), where a, b, and c are the side lengths and A, B, and C are the corresponding angles.

2. What is the ambiguous case in the Law of Sines?

The ambiguous case, also known as the "two triangle case", occurs when using the Law of Sines to solve a triangle and there are two possible solutions for one of the angles. This can happen when given two side lengths and an angle opposite one of the sides, or when given two angles and a side opposite one of the angles.

3. How do you know if a triangle has an ambiguous case in the Law of Sines?

A triangle will have an ambiguous case in the Law of Sines if it meets one of the following conditions: 1) two side lengths and an angle opposite one of the sides, and the angle is acute, or 2) two angles and a side opposite one of the angles, and one of the angles is acute.

4. How do you solve the ambiguous case in the Law of Sines?

To solve the ambiguous case in the Law of Sines, you must use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) on the ratio of the two given side lengths or two given angles to find the measure of one of the ambiguous angles. Then, you can use the sum of angles in a triangle (180 degrees) to find the measure of the other angle. Lastly, use the Law of Sines again to find the remaining side length. It is important to check for extraneous solutions, which may occur when taking the inverse sine function.

5. Can the Law of Sines be used to solve any triangle?

No, the Law of Sines can only be used to solve triangles that meet the criteria of having either two side lengths and an angle opposite one of the sides, or two angles and a side opposite one of the angles. If a triangle does not meet these criteria, the Law of Sines cannot be used and another method, such as the Law of Cosines, must be used to solve the triangle.