1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of sines

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given triangle ABC with the measure of angel A = 60 degrees, the length of BC = sq rt of 3, and the length of AC = 1/5. How many soulutions are there for the measure of angle B?

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. sin(60) / sq rt 3 = sinB / (1/5)

2. sq rt 3 / 2 * 1 / sq rt 3 * 5

3. 5/2 = sin(B)
    = Undefined because domain is [-1,1]

It would seem I did something wrong but I keep getting the same thing, any assistance would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

2. sq rt 3 / 2 * 1 / sq rt 3 * 5

Should be:

2. sq rt 3 / 2 * 1 / sq rt 3 * (1/5)

You have just made an arithmetic mistake.

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3
    So if angle B is 5.74 degrees how would you go about finding how many solutions there are? Originally I tried seeing how many times 5.8 went into 90 but I decided that couldn't be right so I started to subtract it from 180 degrees and see if it fit in the domain of arcsin. Which also seems to have provided the wrong answer :(. If the answer were undefined would the number of solutions be zero?

5. Apr 24, 2009 #4
    This is the ambiguous case for the Law of Sines -- A S S. ;)

I think you're going about this the wrong way -- I'm not sure you're supposed to find angle B. First, draw a diagram (hint: make AB the base of the triangle). Drop a perpendicular from C to side AB -- this is the height of the triangle (h). How would you go about finding h?

6. Apr 25, 2009 #5
    Well assuming that is possible and setting AB as base ( I am not sure how that is assigned the base ) I get..

1. Angle A = 60 Angle B = 5.74 therefore Angle C = 114.26
    2. Draw perpendicular and if base is DE now in triangle DEF then Angle F is 57.13
    3. 180 - (57.13 + 90 = 147.13) = 32.87 Therefore Angle E is 32.87
    4. sin(32.87)= X / sq rt 3 Thus X(h) = 0.94
    5.Then from that use a2+b2=c2 to get 1/2 base which ended up being 0.92 so base = 1.84
    6.AB = 1.84

Well the problem is I do not know how to find the number of solutions from this either ;/.

The answer is either 0,1,2,3, or can not be determined as I as I already missed it with none of the above. =/ It would seem about 60% of time the answer is two but its not very helpful for when its not lol

7. Apr 25, 2009 #6
    I'm not sure what you did ^ up there. Can you draw a diagram and post it here?

I don't think you got the height of the triangle (h as I defined it). Hint: the way to find h doesn't involve the Law of Sines at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook