1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of sines

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    1. Two towers A and B are 18.5 miles apart. The bearing from A to B is N65E. A fire is spotted
    by ranger at both towers. Its bearing from A and B are N28e and N16.5W. This makes a
    triangle with A and B and C the fire.
    Can anyone give me a clue and finding angles A and B?

2. a/sin A = b/sin B

3. I found angle B was 138.5, except it wasn't right.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    I'm trying to post my question.

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Mark a point "A" on your paper. Draw a vertical line (representing north) and a horizontal line (representing east/west). Draw a line slanting 65 degrees to the right of the upward vertical (N65E)and mark its end "B". Draw a line from A slanting 28 degrees to the right of the upward vertical (N28E) and draw a line from B slanting 16.5 degrees to the left of the upward vertical (N16,5W). The fire is at the point where the two lines meet and it and A and B form the triangle you want.

Now you should be able to see that the angle at A is the difference 65- 28= 37 degrees inside the triangle. At B, the lilne from A makes an angle of 65 degrees with the vertical (opposite interior angles with parallel lines) and that, the 16.5 degree angle, and the angle inside the triangle make make a straight,vertical, line. Their sum must be 180 degrees so the angle inside the triangle, at B, is 180- 65- 16.5 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook