Finding Angles A and B for Triangular Fire Spotting

That is, the angle at B is 98.5 degrees.[b]In summary, the two towers A and B are 18.5 miles apart with a bearing of N65E. A fire is spotted by a ranger at both towers with bearings of N28E and N16.5W. By drawing a diagram and using the properties of parallel lines and triangles, the angles at A and B can be found to be 37 and 98.5 degrees, respectively.
morr485
1. Two towers A and B are 18.5 miles apart. The bearing from A to B is N65E. A fire is spotted
by ranger at both towers. Its bearing from A and B are N28e and N16.5W. This makes a
triangle with A and B and C the fire.
Can anyone give me a clue and finding angles A and B?2. a/sin A = b/sin B
3. I found angle B was 138.5, except it wasn't right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm trying to post my question.

morr485 said:
1. Two towers A and B are 18.5 miles apart. The bearing from A to B is N65E. A fire is spotted
by ranger at both towers. Its bearing from A and B are N28e and N16.5W.
Can anyone give me a clue and finding angles A and B?

2. a/sin A = b/sin B

3. I found angle B was 138.5, except it wasn't right.

Mark a point "A" on your paper. Draw a vertical line (representing north) and a horizontal line (representing east/west). Draw a line slanting 65 degrees to the right of the upward vertical (N65E)and mark its end "B". Draw a line from A slanting 28 degrees to the right of the upward vertical (N28E) and draw a line from B slanting 16.5 degrees to the left of the upward vertical (N16,5W). The fire is at the point where the two lines meet and it and A and B form the triangle you want.

Now you should be able to see that the angle at A is the difference 65- 28= 37 degrees inside the triangle. At B, the lilne from A makes an angle of 65 degrees with the vertical (opposite interior angles with parallel lines) and that, the 16.5 degree angle, and the angle inside the triangle make make a straight,vertical, line. Their sum must be 180 degrees so the angle inside the triangle, at B, is 180- 65- 16.5 degrees.

1. What is the purpose of finding angles A and B in triangular fire spotting?

The purpose of finding angles A and B in triangular fire spotting is to determine the exact location of a fire. By using trigonometric calculations and measuring the angles between the observer and two reference points, the exact location of the fire can be determined.

2. What are the reference points used in triangular fire spotting?

The reference points used in triangular fire spotting are typically two known landmarks or objects, such as trees or buildings, that can be seen from both the observer and the fire. These points should be at least 100 meters apart and have a clear line of sight to the fire.

3. How do you measure angles A and B for triangular fire spotting?

Angles A and B can be measured using a compass or a theodolite. The observer should stand at a fixed location and use the instrument to measure the angles between themselves and the two reference points. The measurements should be recorded in degrees, minutes, and seconds for accuracy.

4. What other factors should be considered when finding angles A and B for triangular fire spotting?

Other factors that should be considered when finding angles A and B for triangular fire spotting include weather conditions, such as wind and smoke, which can affect the visibility of the fire and the accuracy of the measurements. It is also important to take into account any topographical features that may obstruct the line of sight to the fire.

5. What is the role of technology in finding angles A and B for triangular fire spotting?

Technology, such as GPS and remote sensing tools, can be used to aid in finding angles A and B for triangular fire spotting. These tools can provide more accurate measurements and can also be used to map out the location of the fire and its surrounding area. However, traditional methods of using a compass or theodolite are still commonly used in fire spotting due to their reliability and simplicity.