How Oranges Exist Under Thermodynamics Laws

In summary, the second law of thermodynamics prohibits the existence of structured objects, like oranges, in a closed system. However, even in a closed system, entropy always increases. This is why oranges can exist in a closed system, because the entropy of the oranges decreases as the energy flows from high-temperature areas to low-temperature areas.
wallz
hey, i had this question for homework:
How oranges( which have structured objects) can exist given the laws of thermodynamics?

i have no idea how to answer this, so any help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
When I boil some water, at first the water is silent, but then convection starts: a very structured mass movement of particles appears spontaneously. Shouldn't the second law forbid this? After all, a disorganized mass of water molecules all decide to move coherently! The answer is no, even more so, the second law also likes it! After all, what is the result of convection? Convection is for heat transfer (a better word is "energy dissipitation"); so although the convection itself is a very organized structure, its role is to increase entropy faster (heat gets distributed faster with convection than without it), so in this process entropy production increases and does not decrease.

How does this relate to oranges? Maybe the whole concept of life is just one big spontaneous convection: organized structures that simply accelerate the production of randomness

okay i just want to ask you , because i think i have grasp of what the answer is and your input helped alot.
so assuming that the world is a closed system that would mean that the entropy of the world is always increasing or stays the same
also keeping in mind that entropy is an expression of the randomness or disorder
as well as that energy flows from hi temperature areas to low temperature ones.
So if the worlds entropy is increasing then the randomness and disorder is increasing, while the energy is moving from its high temperature areas to the low ones, since orange molecules are not closed system and assuming that their entropy decreases, the energy flowing to the low temperature areas is able to make oranges exist since the entropy is decreasing for those molecules hence the disorder is decreasing so the molecules can pull together or stay together?

does that seem right?
i know some of it might be wrong, but I am really bad at physics at the university level, maybe because of the how quick lessons go i don't catch on quick enough

1. How do oranges exist under thermodynamics laws?

Oranges exist under thermodynamics laws because they are a type of matter that follows the rules of thermodynamics. This means that they are made up of atoms and molecules that interact with each other according to the laws of energy, entropy, and equilibrium.

2. Can oranges violate the laws of thermodynamics?

No, oranges cannot violate the laws of thermodynamics. These laws are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of all matter and energy in the universe. Oranges, like all other objects, must follow these laws in order to exist.

3. How do oranges maintain their energy and temperature under thermodynamics laws?

Oranges maintain their energy and temperature under thermodynamics laws through a process called homeostasis. This is the ability of an organism to regulate its internal environment in order to maintain a stable and optimal state. Oranges have mechanisms in place, such as their skin and juice, to regulate their energy and temperature.

4. Can oranges produce energy under thermodynamics laws?

Yes, oranges, like all living organisms, can produce energy under thermodynamics laws. This is done through the process of cellular respiration, where the cells in oranges break down glucose to produce energy in the form of ATP.

5. How do thermodynamics laws affect the growth and ripening of oranges?

Thermodynamics laws play a crucial role in the growth and ripening of oranges. The laws of energy and entropy dictate the chemical reactions and processes that occur within the orange to promote its growth and ripening. This includes the conversion of sugars to energy, the release of heat energy during ripening, and the increase in entropy as the orange reaches maturity.