Law of Universal Gravitation

In summary, the total gravitational force exerted on one sphere by the other two spheres, located at the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides of 0.5m, is calculated using G = 6.67 x 10^-11 and results in a magnitude of 4.62 x 10^-8. This was found by adding the vector components of the forces exerted by the two spheres and using the distance formula. The process was confirmed to be correct.
ravennnn
3 10 kg spheres are located at the corners of a equilateral triangle of sides .5m. Calculate the magnitude of the total gravitational force exerted on one sphere by the other two.

I used G = 6.67 x 10^-11.
The answer I got was 4.62 x 10 ^-8. Can anyone confirm if this is correct, or explain how to get the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's much better if you explain how you got that answer. This way any mistakes can be pointed out.

Well I picked the ball in the bottom left corner, and found that the vector components of the force the ball to the right of it exerts on it is (2.668 x 10^-8, 0).

The force the top ball exerts on the bottom left corner would have vector components (2.668 * 10^-8cos(60), 2.668 * 10^-8sin(60)). I added these two vectors up, and got the resultant vector components, which I used the distance formula to find the magnitude and got 4.62 x 10 ^-8.

Can anyone confirm if I did it right, or point out any mistakes I made?

Looks good to me.

1. What is the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the force of gravity between two objects. It states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 in his book "Principia Mathematica." However, the concept of gravity has been observed and studied by scientists for centuries, including Galileo, Kepler, and others.

3. How does the Law of Universal Gravitation affect objects on Earth?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is responsible for the force of gravity that keeps objects on Earth from floating away into space. The Earth's mass and the mass of any object on its surface create a gravitational pull, which is why objects fall towards the ground when dropped.

4. Does the Law of Universal Gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Law of Universal Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or distance from each other. However, the force of gravity becomes weaker with increasing distance, which is why we do not feel the gravitational pull of distant objects like stars or planets.

5. How is the Law of Universal Gravitation related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity expanded upon Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation by describing gravity as a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. This theory explains the behavior of gravity in extreme situations, such as near black holes or during the formation of the universe.