1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of universal gravitation

1. Dec 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the distance from the Earth's center to a point outside the Earth where the gravitational acceleration due to the Earth is 1/10 its value at the Earth's surface?

2. Relevant equations
    FG= GmM/r^2
    g= Gm/r^2

G=6.67x10^-11 (Nm^2)/kg^2
    m(earth)=5.97x10^24 kg
    g=9.8m/s^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    g=1/10g (earth)
    g= Gm/r^2

r^2= (Gm/g)1/10
    r^2= (Gm/g)10

Answer: r=2.02x10^7 m^2

Using dimensional analysis I somehow got m^2, but I know the units should be in meters, not meters squared.
    My other concern is where I change r^2= (Gm/g)1/10 to r^2= (Gm/g)10

I'm not even sure if it was correct to do that. By changing the multiplication from 1/10 to 10 was the only way I got the right answer. I could maybe post an attachment with a picture of my work if it would help you understand what I did.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi mosque. Welcome to PF!

The acceleration is g/10. So you have ##r^2= \frac{GM}{(g/10)}##

Try simplifying this by multiplying the numerator and denominator by 10.

Note that you had to take a square root to get the answer. What does that do to the units?

4. Dec 2, 2012 #3
    Wow that's so simple. Now I understand what I was doing wrong. Now that I think about it dividing the gravity by 10 is the same as multiplying it by 10, but instead I worked out Gm/g first and then tried to multiply by 1/10.

Also, once I plugged in the number I did take the square root to get the final answer, but I did the dimensional analysis after so I completely forgot to take the square of the meter.

Thank you so much! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook