Law or Engineering: Which Should I Choose?

In summary, the 28-year-old respondent graduated from a T1 UG with a 4.0, was accepted to a T1 law school, and was academically dismissed because he quit and did not drop his classes. He is now trying to decide on a career path and is concerned about the job outlook and the lack of guarantee of admission to law school again. He is also considering engineering, but is concerned about the money issue. He has been accepted to an engineering program at University of Houston and is contemplating whether to go back to law school.
k4br0ntx
When I was in my early twenties, I graduated a T1 UG with a 4.0{POLS}, got acccepted to a T1 law school {SMU}, and got kicked out. I was academically dismissed because I quit and did not drop my classes.

Now I'm 28 years old and am trying to decide on a career path. I still love constitutional and immigration law both of which I scored the highest grade while at SMU. However the job outlook for lawyers is bleak and most of my friends (including some who are lawyers) tell me that law school is not a good investment right now. Also there is no guarantee that I will be admitted to law school again.

Then there is engineering. I live in Houston and PE is huge here. My best friend is an engineer manager and can help me get a job upon graduation. I do love math and am good at it. I have already been accepted to engineering program at UH.

Despite all this I'm a little apprehensive about going studying engineering. Money is important to me. However been able to excel at my job is also very important. How can I know whether I have the aptitude to be a good engineer? Or is this a dumb question?

Physics news on Phys.org
k4br0ntx said:
However the job outlook for lawyers is bleak and most of my friends (including some who are lawyers) tell me that law school is not a good investment right now. Also there is no guarantee that I will be admitted to law school again.

Yeah I've heard this too. Probably the outlook would be even worse if 2nd time around you weren't able to go to a T1.

k4br0ntx said:
Despite all this I'm a little apprehensive about going studying engineering. Money is important to me. However been able to excel at my job is also very important. How can I know whether I have the aptitude to be a good engineer? Or is this a dumb question?

Simple, audit some math and engineering classes and talk to your friend and other engineers about what they actually DO on a day-to-day basis, what they like and dislike about their jobs etc. Take the time to learn about the different fields of engineering and what job prospects exist and what salaries are common.

k4br0ntx said:
How can I know whether I have the aptitude to be a good engineer? Or is this a dumb question?

There's no definitive test I'm afraid. Like everyone else, you have to try it and then see if you like it.

The good news is that engineering is a pretty broad field, so if you enjoy studying it, there's a good chance that you'll eventually be able to find a position somewhere that you enjoy and will perform well in.

The other issue at hand is figuring out what prompted you to quit law school in the first place, so that whatever path you decide on, you won't quit again.

1. What is the difference between law and engineering?

Law is a field that deals with the study of rules and regulations that govern society, while engineering is a field that involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both law and engineering have high demand and good job prospects. However, the job market for engineers is generally larger and more diverse, with opportunities in various industries such as technology, construction, and manufacturing. On the other hand, the job market for lawyers is highly competitive and may require additional education and experience.

3. Which field offers higher salaries?

In general, engineers tend to have higher salaries compared to lawyers. However, this can vary depending on the specific job role, industry, and location. Both fields have the potential for high-paying jobs, but it is important to consider factors such as job satisfaction and personal interests as well.

4. Can I switch from law to engineering, or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch from one field to the other, but it may require additional education and training. For example, if you have a law degree and want to become an engineer, you may need to pursue a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. However, having a background in law can also be beneficial in certain engineering roles, such as patent law.

5. Which field is more intellectually challenging?

Both law and engineering require a high level of critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. However, the areas of focus and the type of challenges may be different. Law involves interpreting and applying complex legal principles, while engineering involves designing and creating solutions to technical problems. Ultimately, the level of intellectual challenge may depend on the individual's strengths and interests.