Lawn Mower Curvature: Calculating & Applications

• Thread starter Keid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, lawn mower curvature is a measure of the shrinkage or expansion of the area between a curve and a parallel curve at a fixed distance ε. It is equal to -π for any smooth, closed, non-self-intersecting plane curve, taken in the inward direction. This can be proven by using n-sided polygons to approximate the curve and taking the limit as the number of vertices becomes infinite. It is not clear if this concept is used in established mathematical theories or if the author may have made an error in reasoning.
Keid
"Lawn Mower Curvature"

Given a curve C in the plane, if you pick a consistent perpendicular direction, you can construct a new curve by moving out a fixed distance ε from the curve in that direction. For small values of ε, the area between these two curves will be approximately equal to ε times the length of C, but there will be a certain shrinkage (or expansion). For example, if C is a circular arc with length s and radius of curvature r (choosing the perpendicular direction inwards), the area between the curves is given by εs - ε2s/(2r). If C consists of two straight line segments of length s/2 connected by a single angle with measure θ, again taking the perpendicular direction inwards, the area is given by εs - ε2cot(θ/2). A good measure of this shrinkage or expansion might be lim(ε→0)(ΔA - εs)/ε2. For lack of a better term, I'll call this the "lawn mower curvature," since thinking about the area swept out by a lawn mower as it follows a curved path was what got me thinking about this in the first place.

This line of reasoning leads me to believe that the lawn mower curvature of any smooth, closed, non-self-intersecting plane curve, taken in the inward direction, is -π: Imagine using n-sided polygons with vertices on the curve to approximate it. The sum of the exterior angles of the polygon, with angles (near concavities) that point the "wrong way" being taken as negative, must be equal to 2π. In terms of the exterior angle θi, the lawn mower curvature at each vertex is -tan(θ/2), so the total lawn mower curvature of the polygonal chain is -Ʃitan(θi/2) As the number of vertices of the polygon increases, the measure of each exterior angle must decrease, and in the limit as the number of vertices becomes infinite, the tangent of each exterior angle becomes equal to its value in radians, so the total lawn mower curvature becomes -Ʃiθi/2 = (-1/2)Ʃiθi = (-1/2)(2π) = -π.

Is there a better way to prove this? Is it true in general that the lawn mower curvature of a curve is equal to half its total curvature in the ordinary sense? Moreover, is what I call "lawn mower curvature" actually used in established mathematical theories, perhaps as an alternative way to define curvature? On the other hand, perhaps I made an error in reasoning at some crucial step, and what I claimed above isn't actually true.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Keid said:
Given a curve C in the plane, if you pick a consistent perpendicular direction, you can construct a new curve by moving out a fixed distance ε from the curve in that direction. For small values of ε, the area between these two curves will be approximately equal to ε times the length of C, but there will be a certain shrinkage (or expansion). For example, if C is a circular arc with length s and radius of curvature r (choosing the perpendicular direction inwards), the area between the curves is given by εs - ε2s/(2r). If C consists of two straight line segments of length s/2 connected by a single angle with measure θ, again taking the perpendicular direction inwards, the area is given by εs - ε2cot(θ/2). A good measure of this shrinkage or expansion might be lim(ε→0)(ΔA - εs)/ε2.
For lack of a better term, I'll call this the "lawn mower curvature," since thinking about the area swept out by a lawn mower as it follows a curved path was what got me thinking about this in the first place.

This line of reasoning leads me to believe that the lawn mower curvature of any smooth, closed, non-self-intersecting plane curve, taken in the inward direction, is -π:

Imagine using n-sided polygons with vertices on the curve to approximate it. The sum of the exterior angles of the polygon, with angles (near concavities) that point the "wrong way" being taken as negative, must be equal to 2π. In terms of the exterior angle θi, the lawn mower curvature at each vertex is -tan(θ/2), so the total lawn mower curvature of the polygonal chain is -Ʃitan(θi/2) As the number of vertices of the polygon increases, the measure of each exterior angle must decrease, and in the limit as the number of vertices becomes infinite, the tangent of each exterior angle becomes equal to its value in radians, so the total lawn mower curvature becomes -Ʃiθi/2 = (-1/2)Ʃiθi = (-1/2)(2π) = -π.
Need to define what the area is if the parallel curve backtracks, i.e. when ε exceeds the radius of curvature of C inside a bend. If you treat it as a signed entity, I believe your result stands. Just consider a short section ds turning through angle dψ. Radius of curvature r = ds/dψ. Area swept out by margin width ε is r2dψ/2 - (r-ε)2dψ/2 = (rε - ε2/2)dψ. (Note that if ε > 2r then this goes negative.) The 'straight line' sweep would be εds = εrdψ. Subtracting this leaves - (ε2/2)dψ. Integrating wrt ψ etc...

What is lawn mower curvature?

Lawn mower curvature refers to the curvature of the blades on a lawn mower. This curvature is important because it determines the cutting pattern and efficiency of the mower.

Why is it important to calculate lawn mower curvature?

Calculating lawn mower curvature allows for the optimization of the cutting pattern, resulting in a more efficient and effective lawn mowing process. It also helps to prevent damage to the grass and ensures an even cut.

How is lawn mower curvature calculated?

Lawn mower curvature is calculated by measuring the distance between the tip and the center of the blade and then dividing that by the length of the blade. This calculation results in the curvature ratio, which is used to determine the curvature of the blade.

What are some applications of lawn mower curvature?

The calculation of lawn mower curvature is used in the design and manufacturing of lawn mowers to ensure optimal cutting performance. It is also used by lawn care professionals to determine the best mowing patterns for different types of grass.

Can lawn mower curvature be adjusted?

Yes, lawn mower curvature can be adjusted by changing the angle of the blades or by using different types of blades. This can help to achieve a more precise and efficient cut for different types of grass and terrain.