Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lawnchair Larry

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What an incredible story! Apparently this really happened.

There have been some urban legend-ish mutations of the story though, such as this:

Without a doubt my favorite part of the story, again from Wikipedia:

:rofl: Imagine piloting a commercial airplane and seeing a guy floating at 16,000 feet in a lawnchair!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 7, 2005 #3
    Really! If they're afraid to report UFOs cause people will think they're crazy, who'd be nuts enough to report a guy in a lawnchair?
  5. Sep 7, 2005 #4
    "A man can't just sit around." just lol at his provisions, sandwiches and a 6 pack. I am suprised that others haven't done this.
  6. Sep 7, 2005 #5

Science Advisor

7. Sep 7, 2005 #6
    Lol, maybe he made it into the darwin awards after all.
  8. Sep 8, 2005 #7
    You talkin' to me? YOU TALKIN' TO ME?!? Oh, someone else.. Right, sorry..

If you google "cluster ballooning" you'll get a ton of hits on this. Flying with lots of helium balloons is still not terribly common but not unheard of either. It's mostly something hot air balloonists toy with, having at least a moderate degree of experience with balloons and/or flying is probably called for.
  9. Sep 10, 2005 #8
    I recall reading somewhere, about someone inventing a helium flying suit. It must not of worked well, cause we're not all flying around in one.
  10. Sep 11, 2005 #9
    As far as I understand things, a liter of pure helium (regular helium balloon helium is often cut with N2, there's no need for the lift since they generally hold up only a balloon so why waste expensive helium) will lift about 1 gram. Thus, a 100 lbs person would need a bit over 45 cubic meters to be neutrally buoyant and a little more to rise. In other words, a suit would be rather large. Even hydrogen only lifts a little less then 0.1 g more per liter and since air weighs roughtly 1.25 g/l one couldn't lift more then that in terms of sheer bouyancy (there are, of course, heavier-then-air options like, say, an airplane).

Most people who feel attracted to lighter-then-air flight probably just go for a regular hot air balloon or possibly a helium balloon or blimb. They're well tested and commercially available technologies, so considerably easier to come by then other options. Not that that should dissuade people from using more out-there ways, but they're certainly a solid training ground to start on.
  11. Sep 12, 2005 #10
    Check out Mythbusters for their take on it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?