Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book?

In summary, the professor in the conversation was able to remember a value for a constant by using a small book from Lawrence Berkeley that is sent out every few years. The book is called the Particle Data Book and can be obtained from pdg.lbl.gov.
darkfall13
During a lecture yesterday a professor was stuck on trying to remember a value for a constant and pulled a small book out of his shirt pocket and got the right value. I asked what the book was and he couldn't recall the title as his was so old the cover was a smeared mess but he was pretty certain it was a book that Lawrence Berkeley sent out every few years about current values for constants and such. Does anyone know what it is I'm speaking of and where to get one? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
darkfall13 said:
During a lecture yesterday a professor was stuck on trying to remember a value for a constant and pulled a small book out of his shirt pocket and got the right value. I asked what the book was and he couldn't recall the title as his was so old the cover was a smeared mess but he was pretty certain it was a book that Lawrence Berkeley sent out every few years about current values for constants and such. Does anyone know what it is I'm speaking of and where to get one? Thanks!

It's probably the Particle Data Book.

http://pdg.lbl.gov/

I used to get one every other year.

Zz.

Hi there,

It sounds like the book your professor was using is the "Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book." This book is published by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and contains the most up-to-date values for physical constants, such as the speed of light and Planck's constant. It is often used as a reference by scientists and researchers in various fields.

Unfortunately, it seems that the book is no longer in print and the most recent edition was published in 2004. However, you may be able to find a used copy online or in a library. Alternatively, you could also look for a similar pocket book that contains current values for physical constants.

I hope this helps! Good luck in your search.

1. What is the purpose of the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book?

The Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book is a comprehensive resource for scientists, engineers, and students who work at or with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. It includes information on the laboratory's research programs, facilities, and history.

2. Who is the target audience for the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book?

The target audience for the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book is primarily scientists, engineers, and students who are affiliated with or interested in the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. However, anyone with an interest in the laboratory's research and history may find it useful.

3. What kind of information is included in the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book?

The Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book contains a wide range of information, including an overview of the laboratory's research areas, descriptions of its facilities and equipment, profiles of key scientists and engineers, and a timeline of the laboratory's history. It also includes useful data tables and diagrams.

4. Is the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book regularly updated?

Yes, the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book is regularly updated to reflect the latest research and developments at the laboratory. It is published every few years and the most recent edition can be found on the laboratory's website.

5. Can the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book be accessed online?

Yes, the Lawrence Berkeley Pocket Book is available in both print and digital formats. It can be accessed online through the laboratory's website, where it can be downloaded as a PDF file or viewed as an interactive digital book.