Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laws and loopholes

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    is it possible to find a loophole around a law. like, technically this shouldn't happen, but its not breaking the law at the same time.

like the law of gravity. i dont know how you would find a loophole for gravity, but lets say they somehow create a ball of matter/antimatter that does not follow normal laws of physics and instead of gravity has antigravity. would something like that be a loophole. i'm not asking specifically about gravity, i mean all laws in general, like thermodynamics, newtons', etc...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Loopholes appear in laws made by imperfect humans not neccessarily laws in nature. So my opinion is that no loopholes can be found in the laws of nature because if something that seems like a loophole is found in a law of nature, its not actually a loophole just a part of the law that we never knew before. Like if a partical that has antigravity is found, thats not a loophole. It just means antigravity was part of the laws of gravity from the very beginning And only humans would exploit loopholes. The rest of the natural world could care less about a loophole in the natural laws :)

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    do you think it is possible to... nevermind.

well put explanation, G. laws are imperfect because we are imperfect, so even if it cant be done nature holds infinite possiblities right?

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

A loophole is really a legal term.

There is no such thing as a loophole in natural laws. For example, people thought aircraft couldn't go beyond the speed of sound. Well once we did surpass it, it was obvious that it wasn't a "loophole", we simply didnt understand aerodynamics as much as we could. So really, they aren't loopholes, they are simply not understood.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?