Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laws governing/explaining Time

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    Has anyone discovered the laws governing or explaining the passage of Time? Shouldn't there be laws for that as well? In addition to the laws that explain the fundamental forces and how they interact, shouldn't there be laws that govern/explain how the universe got from the big bang to here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Have you read up on Einstein's theories of Relativity?

There are lots of theories describing the things you are asking about.

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    I thought the general theory of relativity describes gravity. I want to know how the passage of time is explained. I am talking about a law here and not speculative theories that explain how the universe would have been at the big bang and then they go onto explain what happened after a planck time etc. What governs the passage of time?

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4
    My feeling is that what relativity did to time means we must give up time as fundamental and instead think of frequencies, or rhythm. Nature operates through rates of movements with the limit being the speed of forces (of light).

Time is the effect of the accumulation of those rates. Higher speeds mean higher rates so "more" time. In fact, light has so much time on its hands that the whole universe passes through 0 time for light.

Time travel may be impossible not because of the known paradoxes but because there are no negative frequencies, alike with there is no negative mass but only zero mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook