Simplifying Equations with Exponential Terms

In summary, the equation -e^((-1/2)*x^2)*(x^2-1)+2*e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x can be simplified to e^(-x^2/2)(-x^2+2x+1). However, when using Mathematica software, it simplifies to -e^(-x^2/2)*x(x^2-3). It is not clear how the (x^2-3) term is derived.
riordo

Homework Statement

Can you help me simplify the following equation: -e^((-1/2)*x^2)*(x^2-1)+2*e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been guessing that you can combine the e^((-1/2)*x^2) components and thus end up with (x^2-1)x+e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x. Please let me know. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most I can simplify it is just an exp term and a polynomial...

[tex]e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}(-x^2+2x+1)[/tex]

riordo said:

Homework Statement

Can you help me simplify the following equation: -e^((-1/2)*x^2)*(x^2-1)+2*e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been guessing that you can combine the e^((-1/2)*x^2) components and thus end up with (x^2-1)x+e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x. Please let me know. Thanks.
Yes, you can factor out the e(-1/2)x^2x2 but you don't appear to have done it correctly! removing e(-1/2)x^2x2 from the first term leaves -(x2-1) and from the second leaves x. Removing it from both gives e(-1/2)x^2x2(-(x2-1+x)= -e-(1/2)x^2x2(x2- x+ 1).

Thank you. It appears that either you can combine the negative and positive e^((-1/2)*X^2) terms or eliminate the term by adding a negative value on both sides of the = sign. However that seems to me to make it more complicated. When I plug this into Mathematica software it simplifies to -e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x(x^2-3). I don't understand how it comes to this solution especially the (x^2-3). Let me know if you have any insight to what I am missing.
Thank you very much.

Solved. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the general rule for simplifying expressions with exponents?

The general rule for simplifying expressions with exponents is to multiply the base number by itself the number of times indicated by the exponent. For example, 34 would be simplified as 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 81.

2. How do you multiply two exponential expressions with the same base?

To multiply two exponential expressions with the same base, you can add the exponents and keep the base the same. For example, 63 x 64 would be simplified as 67.

3. What is the rule for dividing exponential expressions with the same base?

The rule for dividing exponential expressions with the same base is to subtract the exponents and keep the base the same. For example, 85 ÷ 82 would be simplified as 83.

4. How do you raise an exponential expression to a power?

To raise an exponential expression to a power, you will need to multiply the exponents. For example, (23)4 would be simplified as 212.

5. What is the rule for simplifying exponential expressions with different bases?

The rule for simplifying exponential expressions with different bases is to rewrite the bases as powers of the same number. For example, 32 x 42 would be simplified as (32)2 x (22)2 = 9 x 16 = 144.