1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laws of exponents for e^x

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can you help me simplify the following equation: -e^((-1/2)*x^2)*(x^2-1)+2*e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been guessing that you can combine the e^((-1/2)*x^2) components and thus end up with (x^2-1)x+e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x. Please let me know. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2
    The most I can simplify it is just an exp term and a polynomial...

[tex]e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}(-x^2+2x+1)[/tex]

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you can factor out the e(-1/2)x^2x2 but you don't appear to have done it correctly! removing e(-1/2)x^2x2 from the first term leaves -(x2-1) and from the second leaves x. Removing it from both gives e(-1/2)x^2x2(-(x2-1+x)= -e-(1/2)x^2x2(x2- x+ 1).

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4
    Thank you. It appears that either you can combine the negative and positive e^((-1/2)*X^2) terms or eliminate the term by adding a negative value on both sides of the = sign. However that seems to me to make it more complicated. When I plug this into Mathematica software it simplifies to -e^((-1/2)*x^2)*x(x^2-3). I don't understand how it comes to this solution especially the (x^2-3). Let me know if you have any insight to what I am missing.
    Thank you very much.

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5
    Solved. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?